• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1990 Silverado center console lock broken and can't open help!

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Any idea on how to open or take out the lock cylinder on a center console door for my 1990 Silverado? The key goes into the cylinder and spins and spins.

If I end up drilling the lock cylinder out, where do I get a new one aside from GM, if they have?

Thanks for any info.

Any idea or method on how to remove it? I was going to resort to drilling out the lock cylinder, but not sure if there was an easier less destructive method?

Any idea or method on how to remove it? I was going to resort to drilling out the lock cylinder, but not sure if there was an easier less destructive method?

Lol I have the same one. Hell i am not sure If i even have a key or if the lock has ever been used. Im all about redneck engineering though, so a metal latch and a huge ass padlock is the direction I'd be heading myself

I used to pop locks out of old vending machines to be rekeyed.

How I did it was to use an appropriate sized self tapping screw and screw it in about as far as it would go. Then use a hammer or pry bar like I was pulling a nail. Pulled the lock out easily. With very little or no damage.

Might work for what you have too...0

Try using a really small bladed flathead screwdriver to unlatch the latch. I had a similar issue on a center console once and that is how I opened it.

Or a .01" or so feeler gauge. That box/lock is only good against casual snoopiness. Its not tough enough to resist a determined attempt to pry it open.

spistols spistols - Did you try 'jiggling' the key as you tried to turn it? With the lock laying flat, instead of horizontal, the tumblers get gunk built up in them and overcomes the little springs that keep them engaged with the cylinder.

Or a .01" or so feeler gauge. That box/lock is only good against casual snoopiness. Its not tough enough to resist a determined attempt to pry it open.

spistols spistols - Did you try 'jiggling' the key as you tried to turn it? With the lock laying flat, instead of horizontal, the tumblers get gunk built up in them and overcomes the little springs that keep them engaged with the cylinder.

Funny you mention "jiggling", as I was just outside trying to jiggle it for @ 10 minutes. Any more jiggling, I am going to have to propose to it.

I will try the feel gauge/screwdriver pry method. Will post if it works.

Back
Top Bottom