1990 Silverado center console lock broken and can't open help!

Figured it out after watching this Youtube video on how to take the cylinder apart. Key thing was taking the plastic cover off, and you could virtually disassemble everything while the lock cylinder is in place with the door locked.

After taking everything out and discovering the broken $.99 piece, that I will scavenge soon from a junkyard vehicle, I had to insert two small screwdrivers to open the latches and the door opened.

I was ready to break out the fat drill bit and go to town. Thankfully with some patience, it all worked out with no damage to anything.

67_72chevytrucks_com_vboard_attachment_php_948172433714670aa82e6c9a1dbd14d8._.jpg

This is a picture of what the console lock looks like (not mine, but taken from google). This is the 454SS console, which my truck is.

Here is the youtube video:

Figured it out after watching this Youtube video on how to take the cylinder apart. Key thing was taking the plastic cover off, and you could virtually disassemble everything while the lock cylinder is in place with the door locked.

After taking everything out and discovering the broken $.99 piece, that I will scavenge soon from a junkyard vehicle, I had to insert two small screwdrivers to open the latches and the door opened.

I was ready to break out the fat drill bit and go to town. Thankfully with some patience, it all worked out with no damage to anything.

67_72chevytrucks_com_vboard_attachment_php_948172433714670aa82e6c9a1dbd14d8._.jpg

This is a picture of what the console lock looks like (not mine, but taken from google). This is the 454SS console, which my truck is.

Here is the youtube video:

Cool, yeah not much to those console locks...

Cool, yeah not much to those console locks...

Yup. I wonder how many thousands and thousands of guns, wallets, purses, phones, etc. have been stolen from those because their owners thought that "lock" did anything other than hide their stuff from plain sight.

Yup. I wonder how many thousands and thousands of guns, wallets, purses, phones, etc. have been stolen from those because their owners thought that "lock" did anything other than hide their stuff from plain sight.

Most "glove box" style locks have about 1/4 of the pins or wafers as the ignition or door locks.

Yeah but the weakness isn't the lock itself, but what its mounted in. In glove boxes "usually" the latch engages the frame of the dashboard or other hard point. With these center consoles, they are nothing but some ABS tupperware.

Yeah but the weakness isn't the lock itself, but what its mounted in. In glove boxes "usually" the latch engages the frame of the dashboard or other hard point. With these center consoles, they are nothing but some ABS tupperware.

Which is why they don't put to much into the lock...

While driving my beater '93 Jeep Cherokee, the glove box lock in this looks to be identical to the lock on my '90 Chevy truck. Can it be?

Back
Top Bottom