• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 Boston Bombing FBI Agents "Fall from Helicopter" ..... dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fast rope hangs from the gantry and extends from the side/rear/hell hole of the aircraft and each man slides down it like a fire pole. There is nothing for each individual roper to rig, feet and hands on the rope and away you go.

The doors were likely open? Impossible to fast rope from a UH-1 with closed doors.

Understanding how VBSS and fast roping work are elementary to understanding how this accident could have occurred. The odds for something going wrong when you are on the rope, the aircraft moves off target (ships deck), you find yourself now over open water, 30 to 50 feet above the surface and wearing 50 to 80 pounds of gear,,,,,are far from astronomical and are in fact in the "pretty damn good" range.

Edit to add: VBSS = Visit, Board, Search, Seizure

So they just hang on with their hands? wow..crazy with that much gear. It's still an amazing coincidence, regardless of how easy you can die.

I was almost killed in a similar fashion when I was in Special Forces. Roping from a helicopter over water can be extremely dangerous and the variables can only be controlled to a certain extent.

So they just hang on with their hands? wow..crazy with that much gear. It's still an amazing coincidence, regardless of how easy you can die.

Nope. Consider the fact that when you are on the rope over open water you are dealing with velocity (yours equals the aircrafts), altitude above the water prior to exiting the rope (who knows how high you may be), your load out weight (bouncer, ammo, commo, weapon-Primary/Secondary, helmet, fully clothed) and the fact as soon as you hit the surface (assuming you are not injured or knocked unconscious) you are going to sink until you get your all your gear off..........there is really nothing amazing or coincidental about not surviving.

Most men can stop their descent on a fast rope and lock in for a very short period of time only. I can tell you from experience that shedding a bouncer in water, even a top of the line one like a Maritime Ciras, after getting the weapon that is slung (and possible additionally bungeed) off your torso, in a controlled environment, is no small task. In the situation these men were in I can only imagine the level of difficulty.

Last edited:
I was almost killed in a similar fashion when I was in Special Forces. Roping from a helicopter over water can be extremely dangerous and the variables can only be controlled to a certain extent.

A voice of experience..............:thumb:

You nailed it, you control all the variables you can.......in flight emergencies are not within that envelope and bring with them much woe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom