• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.270 with Varget

I loaded .270 with a 130 grain Hornady SST and 48 grains of Varget. Now I am a little worried that the load might be to the high side of pressure. I wonder if I should take the bullets out and drop the load by 2 grains, or just test fire the load first. Also, I know Varget is not the ideal .270 powder, i just wanted to keep from buying another powder if possible..

I got the load from the Hodgdon site, but I don't think the bullets are identical.
Here's the two loads from the Hodgdon site:

BULLET WEIGHT130 GR. BAR TSX
Starting Loads
Maximum Loads
Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Hodgdon
Varget
.277"
3.230"
54,800 PSI
63,200 PSI
BULLET WEIGHT130 GR. HDY SP
Starting Loads
Maximum Loads
Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Hodgdon
Varget
.277"
3.180"
43,900 CUP
49,600 CUP
I have been reloading since the late sixties and just pass a little info, not telling you to do what I say but I have not worried about mild differences in powder loads of max or min. The speer no. 8 manual gives two full grains more than the speer manual no 10. I believe this due to liability, but using the no 8 for years I have never had any problems. It is best to work up loads gradually but there is a full one to two full granin differences in just these two manuals from the same manufacturer.

yeah, I pulled the bullets and dropped to 44 grains. 48 would have probably been ok as noted above, but I feel perfectly safe at 44 grains.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom