• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 black out

The caliber does nothing for me. I had one for a while and it was an accurate shooter, but my 6.8's smoke it.

I don't like that the short stubby round could be mistakenly chambered in a 5.56 either. I have no real use for one.

I think the round has a place here in the region. I don't think it's really a contender out past 200-300 yards. The 6.5 and 6.8's do have quite the advantage in a lot of areas, especially out at the 500-600+ point(s).

BUT.

How many times will you take a deer/hog/whatever at over 200 yards? How many times are you in a place where you can SEE/shoot more that 200-300 yards effectively?

For me the 300 blackout has some distinct advantages:
1) Lets me use same platform I am familiar with/like/have toys for and turn it into a hunting tool.
2) Same magazines.
3) Big company backing the ammo. Pre-panic, we were seeing 300 blackout in the $10/50 range, it'll get there again.
4) For $400 I was able to buy a decent upper that I can use for deer/hog and still play with.
5) Will use the same 9mm can I already planned to buy for SS.

Is it perfect? No. Does it have some compelling features if you already have an AR and want to be able to hunt with a big/slow bullet? Yes.

I think the round has a place here in the region. I don't think it's really a contender out past 200-300 yards. The 6.5 and 6.8's do have quite the advantage in a lot of areas, especially out at the 500-600+ point(s).

BUT.

How many times will you take a deer/hog/whatever at over 200 yards? How many times are you in a place where you can SEE/shoot more that 200-300 yards effectively?

For me the 300 blackout has some distinct advantages:
1) Lets me use same platform I am familiar with/like/have toys for and turn it into a hunting tool.
2) Same magazines.
3) Big company backing the ammo. Pre-panic, we were seeing 300 blackout in the $10/50 range, it'll get there again.
4) For $400 I was able to buy a decent upper that I can use for deer/hog and still play with.
5) Will use the same 9mm can I already planned to buy for SS.

Is it perfect? No. Does it have some compelling features if you already have an AR and want to be able to hunt with a big/slow bullet? Yes.

Like it

I agree with Bluesman2a. I am loving mine. Chuckdog i just cant see a major f'up loading the wrong mags. Even though 300bo and 223 use the same mags and diameter casing. They are shorter and have a fatter 30 cal bullet. Even if I had a bunch of unorganized preloaded mags with 223/556 in some and 300bo in others and was in pitch black darkness with a blindfold on Im pretty sure i could tell the difference because the 300bo's mags would be noticibly heavier. I guess if it did happen it would be only once to the guy that's for sure.

I agree with Bluesman2a. I am loving mine. Chuckdog i just cant see a major f'up loading the wrong mags. Even though 300bo and 223 use the same mags and diameter casing. They are shorter and have a fatter 30 cal bullet. Even if I had a bunch of unorganized preloaded mags with 223/556 in some and 300bo in others and was in pitch black darkness with a blindfold on Im pretty sure i could tell the difference because the 300bo's mags would be noticibly heavier. I guess if it did happen it would be only once to the guy that's for sure.

I agree. I just built a similiar weapon system. However I had never considered chambering,jamming or missfiring a .223 round in the 300 upper. Would that even be possible? Since I am still waiting on a couple of cosmetic pieces and my SBR approval to finish this weapon build I have not fired the upper.

IMG_2283.jpg

Back
Top Bottom