• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 bolt gun optic recommendations?

chrislibby88

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
Just traded into a Mossberg MVP and I'm needin a scope for it. I don't have much experience with magnified optics. All my guns have iron sights, red dots, and I have one 4x optic.

Right off I'm thinking about something around a 3-10x power variable. Illuminated reticle would be nice, but not critical. My range only goes to 200 yrds, but I do have limited access to a 400 yard range.

I was looking at some options from Vortex, and also a Trijicon Accupoint. I have used an Accupoint 1-4x and liked it. I have also used a Vortex 1-6x, but prefered the trijicon.

Budget $5-700

School me.

Which model of MVP do you have?

What do you want to do with it once you have it scoped?

What's your budget on the scope?

I would go with a Nikon M-308. They are a reasonably priced optic with top tier performance without the top tier price. I have used several of them and really I can't see the difference in clarity between the Nikon and Trijicon or Vortex. You can never go wrong with a Nikon. They cost around 500 bucks and can be had for less if you shop around. A fine optic with pin point accuracy that will hold it's zero forever. I wouldn't spend a dime more for anything that won't be any clearer or more accurate. You won't get a better scope unless you go with a Schmidt and Bender or something in that price range 1000 to 2500 bucks. I think they are a 4-12x42or a 4-16x42 plenty or magnification to get pinpoint accuracy out to 200 plus yards. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

Which model of MVP do you have?

What do you want to do with it once you have it scoped?

What's your budget on the scope?
Patrol .308. I have an Aimpoint CompM4s up for trade, but my case budget will probably be alinked the 5-700 range not including rings/mount, possibly more. I will mainly be target shooting, and maybe some hog/deer hunting.

Same one I had, with a threaded 16" barrel.

I would look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x. If you're wanting something with a bit more power, the Vortex Viper PST SFP 2.5-10x44mm.

Back
Top Bottom