• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 bolt gun optic recommendations?

The chances of the BDC reticle actually lining up with your dope are pretty slim. Too many variables to account for. If they actually worked as well as the manufacturer's would like, every Sniper in the world would use them.

Get a good reticle in MOA or MRAD. Shoot your dope, learn your dope, then use your reticle for ACCURATE hold-offs.
I have found that if you use the 168 grain bullet weight that the reticle is pretty damn close, within and inch at 200 yards. For hunting it's close enough out to 300 to count on as a dead deer. If you start going up and down in weights that increases in difference. However Nikon did an excellent job with their BDC reticle. Not one of M or P model scopes were way off from what is claimed as long as you stick with the recommended weight.

Of course I matched up the drop on the scope with the ammo box. The M-308 on my 308 would punch a hole right between the eyes at 200 on the first circle down. That is pretty damn close if you ask me. Those reticles are more for a quick hunting reference rather than absolute precision sniper shooting enthusiast. You have to take it for what it is and not what you want it to be.

I have found that if you use the 168 grain bullet weight that the reticle is pretty damn close, within and inch at 200 yards. For hunting it's close enough out to 300 to count on as a dead deer. If you start going up and down in weights that increases in difference. However Nikon did an excellent job with their BDC reticle. Not one of M or P model scopes were way off from what is claimed as long as you stick with the recommended weight.

That pretty much proves my point. If it's pretty much on for you......what barrel length are you running? The OP is using a 16" barrel. If the reticle works for you, and you're running a 18"-24" barrel, there is no way that the reticle will work for the OP when using the same ammo.

Also, since the reticle works for you with that 168grn load, it won't work when you switch to a heavier or lighter bullet. With MOA/MRAD, I can switch ammo, or even take the scope of my .308 and put it on a .223, .300WM, or a .338 Lapua......works with EVERYTHING.

If the reticle is dead on for someone using a 168grn .308 at 500ft of elevation at 92 degrees Fahrenheit, it won't work at 1,600ft elevation and 42 degrees Fahrenheit. You have to know how to adjust for external variables still.

With an MOA or MRAD reticle, the reticle works for holdoffs no matter what caliber, barrel length, or bullet weight you use. Shoot your dope, record it, now whenever you wanna use a holdoff for elevation or wind, you can use your reticle if you prefer, instead of dialing.

MOA/MRAD are very easy to learn and much more versatile than a BDC.

Just traded into a Mossberg MVP and I'm needin a scope for it. I don't have much experience with magnified optics. All my guns have iron sights, red dots, and I have one 4x optic.

Right off I'm thinking about something around a 3-10x power variable. Illuminated reticle would be nice, but not critical. My range only goes to 200 yrds, but I do have limited access to a 400 yard range.

I was looking at some options from Vortex, and also a Trijicon Accupoint. I have used an Accupoint 1-4x and liked it. I have also used a Vortex 1-6x, but prefered the trijicon.

Budget $5-700

School me.
It all comes down to what you are going to use it for. If you are going to hunt at dusk or dawn you need a viper, or leupold , or zeiss , if just during good light most any of the scopes will work, like bushnell, Nikon pro staff ect. The 3-9x40 zeiss conquest is a excellent deal and can be bought for around $375 which I have one and you will have a hard time beating it. It is just as good as the leupold 50mm

I have 2 308s. One Ruger compact and one Remington SPS AAC. Both are topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Great optics. You would not be sorry and you will have $$$ left over

Back
Top Bottom