• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 DMR Build

pdogkilr

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
So ... I had the "build bug" again. Thought I would put together a nice Designated Marksman Rifle this time, in 308. I will need to do this in a couple of posts, as there is a ten photo limit per post.

Ascend Armory makes a very nice ambidextrous receiver set in either 5.56 or 7.62 (DPMS style), so I went with that for the basis. Note the trigger/hammer pins on the left side of the receiver. Unique to Ascend, they mill the receiver for their pin set which is anti-rotation. The heads of the pins are shaped to fit the recesses and cannot rotate.

IMG_2884 Ascend Armory 308 Receiver Set by Jerry R, on Flickr

IMG_2887 Ascend Armory 308 Receiver Set by Jerry R, on Flickr

I used a CMC Lantac E-CT1 trigger for the fire-control

CMC Lantac E-CT1 Trigger by Jerry R, on Flickr

and for the safety/selector I used Ascend Armory's 50 degree ambi-switch

Ascend Armory Safety-Selector by Jerry R, on Flickr

For the upper's CH I used the Geissele Super Charging handle

IMG_2848Geissele Super Charging Handle by Jerry R, on Flickr

with a Rainier Arms Ultramatch NiB BCG

Rainier 308 NiB BCG by Jerry R, on Flickr

The saga continues ...

The heart of any build is the barrel ... I used a Rainier Arms 18" Ultramatch barrel with a mid-length gas system. They use Shilen blanks for their UM barrels, and I have never been disappointed with their accuracy. I asked their gunsmiths to slip on the barrel nut and pin the adjustable gas block for me - pinning is just a personal preference, and I do not have a jig to do this properly.

IMG_2891 Rainier 308 UM Stainless Barrel by Jerry R, on Flickr

The barrel nut was for the Rainier Arms AR10 Switchrail. With an adjustable gas block, it is nice to be able to pull a lever and slip off the rail at the range to adjust the gas levels.

IMG_2889 Rainier AR10 Switch Keymod-17 by Jerry R, on Flickr

Since it is to be a "rifle" I used the Magpul third generation PRS stock with a LuthAR buffer tube/spring/buffer

IMG_2828 MagPul PRS Gen-3 by Jerry R, on Flickr

IMG_2829 LUTH-AR 308 Rifle Extension-Buffer-Spring by Jerry R, on Flickr

I mounted a Leupold 6.5x20 Target Turret Scope in a LaRue QD mount to take advantage of the accuracy potential. The muzzle device is a BattleComp 51.30 designed for mounting an AAC 51-T suppressor system. The finished product looks nice ...

IMG_2918 Ascend Armory 308 DMR by Jerry R, on Flickr

... and shoots pretty well. I'll take 3/4" groups anytime my 70 year old eyes can put them together. This one shot with Federal 168 Gold Medal Match. It shot same size groups with CBC 168 "Sniper" loads. Oh, the group shown was NOT shot with the suppressor mounted.

IMG_2913 Ascend Build Group by Jerry R, on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time to visit this thread.

Can you tell us the weight, all tricked out? With a full mag and the optic and pod and PRS I’m guessing about 12-13 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom