• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 Reloading

mojoween

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
270   0
Reaction score
I have some "Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips" in 168gr. I am using IMR 4895 powder and I haven't found any data for this load. Any idea what other manufacturer's bullet would be closest? I was thinking maybe the Hornady AMAX or Nosler's BT...any ideas?

yup, the BST is a a nosler ballistic tip with lubalox coating. also, why 4895? 4064, varget, re-15 and cfe 223 will all give better velocities

but it's tough to beat 4895 for accuracy .... sometimes Varget, but 4895 has been a goto for the 308 for some time

If you have a good load that's not too close to max you may just want to change out the bullet and start there. I know the Nosler data for most accurate 165gr load tested shoots game kings out of my 06 into stunningly small groups. It put 10 into .446 (one small ragged hole) at 100yds from my hunting rig and I about fell over. Been my go to load ever since.

Last edited:
It's a good question, Mojo, and if you'll permit, I'll offer some theory that may help you expand your options. The components of the bullet that affect pressure are diameter (same), weight (same), bullet shape/bearing surface (possibly different), seating depth (can be same). What that offers you is freedom! If you're not at the top of the pressure curve already, you will choose a bullet of the same diameter and weight, use data from a similarly-shaped bullet, and seat it to the same depth. If your case prep hasn't changed, you should not be creating a substantially different pressure curve. That's why the Lee reloading manual doesn't list bullet brand or type; it's all based on the diameter and weight, and whether jacketed or not.

Caveat - If you're loading max-pressure rounds, be smart and reduce your load by at least 5% and work back up with any component change.

For example, this logic would permit you to pull the 180-grain FMJ bullet from a milsurp cartridge and replace it with a 168-grain commercial SP hunting bullet with safety. You'll have a lighter projectile and less chamber pressure, as well as higher velocity.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom