• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 Win Reloading

AK74U

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
89   1
Reaction score
I'm looking to start loading my own .308WIN ammo. I'm going to go with Berger 185gr Juggernaut OTM and Lapua 185gr Scenar(L). How do I know if my brass needs to be small or large rifle primer? Will look at Lapua, Starline, Petersen, etc brass cases. Still open to primer suggestions depending on the size I need. Looking to use past 1,000 yards with these loads. Thanks Guru's!!

The standard for .308 Win. brass is large primer pocket, though there are a few small pocket options out there. Can't go wrong either way, though you'll find arguments for and against both pertaining to ignition efficiency with certain powders, different flame fronts, etc. I'd call it a wash and get your hands on primer of choice (the difficult part) then snag brass accordingly. It all has to be worked up in ladders anyhow so you'll find what works well for your system and what doesn't through development.

I haven't loaded .308 in years (though I need to start again now that it has made its way back into my collection), but I remember an old favorite combo being Federal brass, Remington LRP, Varget, and 175gr SMK. Can't remember charge weight or OAL, but we found the magic combo to make my uncle's Remington 700 sing. Fun cartridge to load from mild to wild given the plethora of projectiles and powders for it.

large or small primer depends upon the brass you want to use, and what you have on hand.

Many precision loaders feel that the small primer brass will last longer before the primer pocket gets loose and the brass isn't usable. More metal around the primer pocket to support the primers.

Sometimes you will see the small primer 308 brass referred to as "Palma" brass. The top tier brass manufacturers usually make both (Lapua, Starline, etc). Traditional 308 brass is always large rifle primer.

These days I think it's easier to find small rifle match primers than large rifle match primers, but if you have one or the other that might sway you into getting one or the other. Brass overall is easier to find these days, but if you go small primer 308, you will be much more limited to match quality brass.

Those bullets are very long, make sure that whatever you are using to feed your rifle, you are ok with cartridge overall length. If you are feeding an AR10 308 out of SR25 mags, you might have issues with length with the heavier bullets. As most have posted, a traditional "heavy" bullet for the 308 is the 175 SMK. If it's a bolt gun with AICS magazines you should be fine.

Peterson had SRP brass that's available.
Also I'll be shooting out of an AI AXSA so the factory Berger 185gr Juggernaut OTM ammo feeds fine. As for powder, Hodgdon H4350 was my initial go to as I've had experience with that powder before. But I'm not familiar with Varget offerings. Also Lapua brass that's available is LRP. I've heard that LRP are harder to find that SRP. Whichever is more available is the route I'll go.

Back
Top Bottom