• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

338-06 Ackley Improved

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
I tried a new loads in my rifle today. I used BLC2 in place of IMR 4064 which gave me a average velocity of 3130 with 180 grain nose Accubonds from a 26 inch barrel.

63 grains of BLC2 with a CCI large rifle magnum primer for the following velocities,

3184FPS
3185FPS
3197FPS. For an average velocity of 3188 FPS with no pressure signs. Shot just under an inch group!!

64 grains of BLC2

3219 FPS
3212FPS
3204FPS and an a stage velocity of 3211FPS. On this load the bolt was a little sticky and some light flattening of the primer. It also had a faint extractor mark. Shot just a little over an inch group.

Both loads were with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds.

I believe I am going to use the 63 grain load so as not wear out my brass as quick or break my extractor. The IMR 4064 load actually shot a little tighter group but with compressed loads the bullets would tend to push out over time. The BLC2 loads are not compressed since the ball powder does not take up as much room in the case. Now just have to wait for deer season!! My son will be hunting with 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I can't wait to put the smack down on a deer with this thing!!

Last edited:
I am actually satisfied with the group from the 63 grain load. I am not gonna complain with it being just under an inch. The IMR load would touch all three when I did my part, but it was also tad slower.

With the 1 grain increments I didn't feel it was too big a jump, 62 grains is the max load for a standard 338-06 load. I am just erring on the side of caution for the longevity of my brass and extractor lol. I did have two other loads that were in .5 increments that I did not shoot. I didn't see no point in see how hot is too hot!!

My first cold bore shot is the one that is on the line. The other shots were fired back to back. I think I am going to leave it alone with where the cold bore shot landed. Moving it might place it dead center on the line or just right of center. It is plenty deer killing accurate IMO.

My first cold bore shot is the one that is on the line. The other shots were fired back to back. I think I am going to leave it alone with where the cold bore shot landed. Moving it might place it dead center on the line or just right of center. It is plenty deer killing accurate IMO.

Yeah looks good. I was just going by the center of the group, looks just left by 1/2 is all

Barrel is free floated and action is bedded, but as it gets hot the shots go left lol. I have one more range session planned before hunting season. I might try one click then to see if it centers up.

Barrel is free floated and action is bedded, but as it gets hot the shots go left lol. I have one more range session planned before hunting season. I might try one click then to see if it centers up.

I've been reading some about this round and I am interested.
Besides utilizing a standard long action,what other benefits are there over a 338 win?

Thanks OP,
hseII

Back
Top Bottom