• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

338-06 Ackley Improved

The max load the Hogden manual shows for the standard 338-06 is 62 grains of BLC-2. I am loading 63 with a mag primer. The load in the standard also has less pressure then the listed max load of IMR 4064 which I was using. Based on book loads with 24 inch barrels used in testing I believe my 26 inch really helps achieve this velocity

I think you are correct, I just would never have guessed.....

It looks like even a standard 338-06 will launch 180 grain bullets faster than a 30.06.

Remington 700 factory detachable mag rifle. Boyd's laminated stock magnum contour barrel channel. Leupold 4.5x14x50 vari x 3 in Leupold mounts and rings.

All chambering and barrel mounting was done by E.R. Shaw on a factory Remington barrel and magnum contour with 26 inch barrel. This rifle was originally a 270.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 28
You can purchase either an E.R.Shaw barrel, or a Remington factory from them. They just chamber it. From my understanding with talking to them. They buy factory blanks that have not been chambered. That is what I purchased. With shipping, barrel, headspacing it was right around $400 for everything.

You can buy an E.R.Shaw barrel a little cheaper. I just decided to stay with a factory barrel. It shoots just as good as my Douglas barreled rifle!!

Back
Top Bottom