• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

338-06 Ackley Improved

Plentiful supply of 30-06 brass, less powder. The largest load by wieght in grains of powder usuage was 62 grains for a given load. Whereas the 338 mag usually starts around 60+ grains and goes up I to the 70's. This round is very effiecent. Also you can fire form 338-06 A-Square in the Ackley version. This rifle also has less felt recoil than any of the 338 win mags I have owned, even though I am duplicating the Win Mags velocities. I built it because I like odd ball stuff lol.

Plentiful supply of 30-06 brass, less powder. The largest load by wieght in grains of powder usuage was 62 grains for a given load. Whereas the 338 mag usually starts around 60+ grains and goes up I to the 70's. This round is very effiecent. Also you can fire form 338-06 A-Square in the Ackley version. This rifle also has less felt recoil than any of the 338 win mags I have owned, even though I am duplicating the Win Mags velocities. I built it because I like odd ball stuff lol.

You may indeed like odd ball stuff, but there seems to be an underlying theme that the round is just plain more efficient than a 338 win.
At first I wanted a 338; now I want a 338-06

You had my curiosity, but now you've got my attention.

Thank You for info lnp

I have some 225's but have yet to load any lol. I did shoot a big doe with it last year with another load and it flipped her!! I probably won't load anything heavier unless I go bear hunting again or go out west.

I have some 225's but have yet to load any lol. I did shoot a big doe with it last year with another load and it flipped her!! I probably won't load anything heavier unless I go bear hunting again or go out west.

Out West would be the primary function for me.

270= Whitetail on the ground in it's little footy tracks without anything other than a fall over

My go to rifle is a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved with a 115 Berger pushed by 50 grains of Hybrid 100V for a velocity of 3180 from a 21 inch barrel. It's a long action Mauser with a short barrel and it balance wonderfully. I have yet to have a friend shoot it that did not want it lol

Last edited:
Here is a pic of a 30-06, 338-06 Ackley Improved, and a 338 win mag for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 65
love my std 338-06.. Rem 700 with a Shilen Super match barrel hung on it

not much difference in ballistics from the imp version.

the 210 gr partition is really nice in it..the 225 PT is all you'll ever need for elk or any large game

The few 180 nosler BT I have are great...but them quit making them in favor of a 200 BT

generally the 338-06 runs about 200 FPS behind the 333WM but has much less recoil.... even some factory rounds for it now

my 338WM 700 Classic went to one of my nephews as he had to have one......

Between the the Ackley Improved case and 26 inch barrel is the reason I am gettin the velocities I am. As of right now Nosler is still making the 180 grain accubonds and cataloging them.

I would never have thought that a a 30.06 case could push anything weighing 180 grains that fast.

I think my 30.06 loads top out around 2800.

Now, I must look it up.

Shoot safe,

Back
Top Bottom