• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357 Hunting Load / Round Help

Rommel

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
Backdrop: So the last few seasons of small-game hunting have had brought about some really nice (but frustrating) surprises for me. I'd be scouting out the bushy tails and along comes (2-3 does occasionally followed by a buck: this happened to me 3 times). Mind you I'm not counting the encounters where I spot a doe or buck say 50-75 yds away, the occurrences that I'm referring to are the multiple times when I can see them coming and they literally come within a stone's throw away.

With that said it does get frustrating. Don't get me wrong it's wonderful to experience such an encounter but man it's tempting. Sad thing is a few years ago I had to sell my Blackhawk. I really tried to obtain another 30-30 (like I had a while back) or a .308 but the budget just never would allow it.

Onto the upcoming season: The one thing that I do have in my arsenal that I would feel capable / ethical to bring down a whitetail (caliber wise) is my Vaquero chambered in .357 Magnum. Now I know what your thinking: "Fixed Sights?". Let me nip this one really quick. First, I would never consider pulling off any kind off shot until I practiced and practiced at different ranges with the same hunting load. Secondly, I just can't see myself even considering attempting anything over say 25 yards away even if I felt proficient at greater distances. I'm not about to wound or gut-shoot some animal only to have to track it to the far corners of the earth hence making it suffer.

So here's my question: Hunting Loads (specifically boxed stuff). What is a good Bullet Weight / Bullet Style that you guys would recommend. I've always been taught that the solid, non hollow-point with a well balanced projectile weight to energy ratio was preferable for hunting i.e. you don't destroy the meat and efficiently down the animal (deer in this case).

As of right now the only thing that I can locate is the Federal Premium (C357G) in 180 grain / JHP. It's ballistics are not as good as say the Federal (P357J) in 180 grain "Castcore" but again the target range will fall within 30 yards. So with that said I'm all ears for opinions / recommendations. I'm partial to Federal or Hornady but have dropped many with plain old Winchester / Remington stuff with rifles.

Any Brands you could recommend? Any specifics on the type / construction / weight of the round? I would really appreciate it!

P.S. And if you know where some is that you recommend it would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've never purposely hunted with the .357 Magnum but used to hunt a decent amount with a .357 Maximum and I found the Swift A-Frame was a great penetrator and decent expander. Federal loads it factory in the Magnum; http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=853

I never had an issue busting through both shoulders but again it was the Maximum so therein it was maybe 200 fps faster than Magnum specs...

Guys, not that I'm an expert or trying to discount statements, but 158's in a soft hollow point tended to over expand, fragment heavily and didn't give adequate penetration if bone was struck in my experience. There again I was pushing it a good bit faster in the Maximum and being that it was fired from a 10" T/C Contender barrel but weight and design are needed in pistol rounds to get the punch you desire. I don't doubt a double lung with even a 125 gr. loading would work but if you are speaking to the arena of wanting to break bone and push through a deer's chest cavity then get some bulk behind the bullet and get one designed to hold together.

Last edited:
The 158 gr JHPs work quite well. I have used 180gr Winchester partition gold. (yes they are hollow points) 158gr deer stoppers (loaded with Speer gold dot bullets) from Ga Arms ( they claim 1700fps) and 158gr Federal self defense factory loaded with hydrashoks. All were complete pass throughs with a significant exit and deer expired very quickly. I have been hunting with an 8 3/8" revolver as a side arm and will use it inside 50 yards propped up against a tree in a heartbeat.
You are entirely over thinking this.
Contrary to internet lore the .357 magnum will drop deer like the hammer of Thor. dont try anything fancy like a head shot just put it in the boiler room and watch em drop.
It is entirely an appropriate cartridge for thin skinned medium game like deer especially inside 100 yards. Once you pop one you too will wonder how anyone ever questioned the killing power of the .357 mag on deer as the liquified internals, shock and trauma are very consistent to one shot with a 30-30 or similar rifle.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience... Buffalo Bore 125gr JHP, 1700fps load out of a 6" barrel will make any Georgia game DRT!

You are entirely over thinking this.
Contrary to internet lore the .357 magnum will drop deer like the hammer of Thor. dont try anything fancy like a head shot just put it in the boiler room and watch em drop.
It is entirely an appropriate cartridge for thin skinned medium game like deer especially inside 100 yards. Once you pop one you too will wonder how anyone ever questioned the killing power of the .357 mag on deer as the liquified internals, shock and trauma are very consistent to one shot with a 30-30 or similar rifle.

I figured I was (over-thinking this). Seems that since the .454 Casull (became popular) and S&W unveiled it's 500 the .357, .41 Mag and the .44 have been somewhat looked down on for whatever ridiculous reason. Yes, I read where due to the demands of more compact revolvers some of the .357 loads produced by some vendors may have lost a little umph but still I know that the .357 is perfectly capable of doing some damage. Thanks for the replies so far guys! So I take it the general consensus is the 158 grain would do just fine? Would the 180 grain be better? The velocity seems differ obviously but the energy is close. What's everyone's thoughts on the Solid vs. the JHP or SHP? I may wait until I can obtain some of the Solid non-hollow point stuff but the season is approaching and supplies will be even more in demand and I would also like to se what you guys think before I place any orders.

I've never purposely hunted with the .357 Magnum but used to hunt a decent amount with a .357 Maximum and I found the Swift A-Frame was a great penetrator and decent expander. Federal loads it factory in the Magnum; http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=853

I never had an issue busting through both shoulders but again it was the Maximum so therein it was maybe 200 fps faster than Magnum specs...

So I take it you had one of those Ruger Maximum's? Did you trade it back in to Ruger? Just curious as I had heard about those.

Back
Top Bottom