38 reloading question

here is a couple of things:

From Modern Reloading - please take the time to read for your self - trust but verify
I load a lot of 38
1. if I am loading a projectile with a cannelure - I will seat and very slightly crimp the case mouth into the cannelure and not worry about the OAL.
2. if I load a SD projectile with a cannelure - same procedure.
The above takes into account I have reloaded that particular projectile in the past and am comfortable with the manufacturer/specs.

3. if I load a SD projectile without a cannelure - I load based on the loading manual OAL - mine are normally 1.437 - 1.470 (based on powder charge).

Also I use a decapping/sizing die for that particular caliber. I very seldom use a Universal decapping die.

I do not know how long you have been reloading so I am going to throw this out there - are you positive you were just reloading 38 and did not have a few 357 mags. mixed in? your post indicated the rounds fit in your 357.

gun.JPG

this is me trying to fit a 357 mag into a 38.

here is a couple of things:

From Modern Reloading - please take the time to read for your self - trust but verify
I load a lot of 38
1. if I am loading a projectile with a cannelure - I will seat and very slightly crimp the case mouth into the cannelure and not worry about the OAL.
2. if I load a SD projectile with a cannelure - same procedure.
The above takes into account I have reloaded that particular projectile in the past and am comfortable with the manufacturer/specs.

3. if I load a SD projectile without a cannelure - I load based on the loading manual OAL - mine are normally 1.437 - 1.470 (based on powder charge).

Also I use a decapping/sizing die for that particular caliber. I very seldom use a Universal decapping die.

I do not know how long you have been reloading so I am going to throw this out there - are you positive you were just reloading 38 and did not have a few 357 mags. mixed in? your post indicated the rounds fit in your 357.

View attachment 593912
this is me trying to fit a 357 mag into a 38.

I also use a decap / resizing die specifically for each caliber. Yes these were all. 38 spcl brass. I just tried them in my 357 mag because I knew you can shoot. 38's in a. 357. Although I never do. I only shoot 357 in a 357 gun. These do have the cannelure and that's another thing. With my OAL the cannelure was sticking outside of the case a little. I thought this rad odd too.

At the moment t have all of these rounds sitting in loading trays on my bench. I have not and probably will not fire these rounds for safety sake. I will definitely mic the width of these bullets as soon as I get home.
Thank you all for your comments and I will post my findings later today.

Here are a couple of my reloads.

Photo 1. SD round - crimp is in the lower middle of the cannelure - OAL 1.470
Photo 2. CMJ round - slight crimp - OAL 1.437
Photo 3. LRN 105/125 gr. round - slight crimp into cannelure - trusted manufacturer

These OALs work for me and I am shooting out of 2 inch and 4 inch barrels.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

I always seat a bullet with a cannelure down to the cannelure. OAL, IMO, does not apply when seating to the cannelure. As long as you are following the load data in your manual a shorter OAL will not hurt. If you have seated them too long you can go back and seat them down to the cannelure and re-crimp them. I have had rounds that would not fit in my .38spl work fine in my .357. Again, as long as you have followed the loading data the rounds should be safe to fire but do not force them in the cylinder.
As for 9mm, there are two diameter bullets that are commonly used, .355 & .356. Neither usually have chambering issues in any of my 9mm pistols. However, I have found .38spl pistols to be more finicky on the bullet diameter. Just my experience.

What brand were the bullets? I have had issues with lead cast that were .358 in some of my .357 / .38 pistols. It seams that not all cylinders are bored the same. I use a lee factory crimp die now the crimp my loads and that has helped greatly. I would suspect that the bullets are a little oversize.
Do the rounds that will not fit appear to bulge a little around the bullet seating area?

absolutely did not think of that:
all my FMJ/CMJ/and SD rounds are .357
all my lead cast bullets are .358

maybe it is just a simple crimp issue (tighter)?

One more thing please check your OAL 1.050 (typo?) seems a little below the MIN OAL/COAL in the Modern Reloading Manual, Hodgdon Load Data website and the Lyman Manual.

Keep us up to date on your findings.

Well I just got home and measured 15 of these bullets with my vernier calipers. All 15 micked at .357 on the button.
I will go back downstairs in a bit and take some detailed pics and post them. If nothing else it will give everybody a birds eye view of what I am saying.

Not sure. I will check when I get home later this evening.

The bullets came from a online company called "extreme bullets". I used some of their 115 gr 9 mm with no problem. I will dump them out if they don't measure out right. That may be the problem.

Lobo1 Lobo1 When you say dump them out, you don't mean trash them do you? You're pretty far away or I'd let you use my die for resizing them. When I cast my own, I run them through the die to get them just right. Depending on how many you have it may be worthwhile to pick up a sizing die. The one I have is the .356 Lee bullet and resizing die. I don't recall how much I paid, but it couldn't be very much, cause I'm a cheap fella. lol

If nothing else they could be melted down .....

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok. Here are the pics I took. The first one shows the OAL. The second shows the cannelure exposed at 1.549" OAL. I am going to try crimping on the cannelure as several have suggested. The third shows the bullet width at .357". The fourth and fifth shop the bullet in the scale at 125.5 grains. Not that it matters but to mainly show that the bullets are to spec.

Back
Top Bottom