• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4.3v6 chevy motor?

Rivershot

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
I have friend that has 2002 blazer with 130k that has been running hot, 240, 260, not pegged. He took it to a dealer and they said it was a bad head gasket.

He has owned it since new, dealer maintained. I'm thinking bad t-stat or clogged radiator, never known the 4.3 too be a gasket blower with out a cause.

Oh yeah, they want $2700 to fix it.

I say B.S.

I have had 2 that had bad head gaskets. Grant it they were both older 90 models but I had to have the head gaskets replaced on two 4.3 v6 Chevy's.

It is running a little rough when it starts up cold. If so try pulling the plugs to see if there is any moisture in the cylinder. They are good engines but this is a known issue with them.

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope to have it here this weekend and do a hot and cold pressure test along with a compassion test, also thanks for the wet plug check idea.

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope to have it here this weekend and do a hot and cold pressure test along with a compassion test, also thanks for the wet plug check idea.
could be as easy as a bad rad cap..pressure test that too..a water pump leak and steam pocket from loss of water

wouldnt hurt to flush all the dexcool out and
refill with regular antifreeze

If you do this make sure you get All of the dexcool out. Flush out the heater core too. Don't just flush with water. Dexcool gums up if it mixes with the green. Don't take but a tiny bit to give you a huge headache.
Personally I would keep the dexcool in it.

Back
Top Bottom