• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4.3v6 chevy motor?

I have friend that has 2002 blazer with 130k that has been running hot, 240, 260, not pegged. He took it to a dealer and they said it was a bad head gasket.

He has owned it since new, dealer maintained. I'm thinking bad t-stat or clogged radiator, never known the 4.3 too be a gasket blower with out a cause.

Oh yeah, they want $2700 to fix it.

I say B.S.

I can pull the motor, vat it, have the heads machined, and put everything in it new for $2,700.00.......less actually

Dexcool has a habit of smudging up if you neglect it by leaving it in too long. Today's later models have different colors depending on year models etc. like ford has yellow, gold and orange. Same engine sizes just different year models. Many of the "regular" coolants are not compatible with the freeze plugs, grade of aluminum etc. in different year model engines. I have seen many engines royally messed up after putting what someone thought was a "better" coolant in an engine not designed for it. It takes time but it will eventually show itself in multiple problems within the engine cooling circuit.

My wife has an 04 Chevy trailblazer with 147,000 plus miles. Never had a problem with the cooling system.

Last edited:
i know their usage is looked down upon,
but i've had good luck using the rubber
plugs.

you can score a good deal on something
if the owner is thinking the motor has to
come out to have the freeze plugs replaced.

I have friend that has 2002 blazer with 130k that has been running hot, 240, 260, not pegged. He took it to a dealer and they said it was a bad head gasket.

He has owned it since new, dealer maintained. I'm thinking bad t-stat or clogged radiator, never known the 4.3 too be a gasket blower with out a cause.

Oh yeah, they want $2700 to fix it.

I say B.S.

Sporty1911 Sporty1911 might be a good person talk to about this since he in your area and qualified to do whatever is needed...

If its hit 260 more than once, doubt seriously its a head gasket. Those are steel heads on the Vortec's and they usually crack. Just wouldn't want to give anyone false hope. But there's no "true" way to tell with out sending them to a machine shop. If I can help, let me know and I'll shoot my phone number your way.

Thanks for the new posts.

I got as far as the pressure test, and radiator look.

Yes the antifreeze has been mixed and the radiator is clogged. At 10psi it is leaking from the water pump, the front of the intake and somewhere on the back, up high, can't tell if it's intake or head.

Right now I'm just waiting for the owner to decide what they want to do (wife wants a new car) and go from there.

One possible option is, I have a 95 4.3 with less than 70k on it, problem is it's in a Safari van and would still need the 02 heads redone.

I would replace the intake gasket, water pump, flush the radiator and see what it does. If its blowing water out of the intake(common problem), AND the pump, there's not enough pressure to force the water through the block. If I can be of any help, just let me know, thanks....

I would replace the intake gasket, water pump, flush the radiator and see what it does. If its blowing water out of the intake(common problem), AND the pump, there's not enough pressure to force the water through the block. If I can be of any help, just let me know, thanks....

Thanks for the offer, I may contact you after he decides what he wants do with it. The other day while we were talking guns, he said " I don't have a .22, everybody should have a .22, right". I may work my into a trade for this thing.

The oil is clean, no water in it, can't tell about the coolant as it is brown and rusty looking. The running pressure test did not indicate a blown head gasket. I am thinking the same as your suggestions along with a comp. test and maybe leak down test before spending too much time or money on this motor.

Back
Top Bottom