• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag vs. 357 mag carbine for deer

Bama21

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I have taken a pile of whitetail with a 44 magnum carbine and the caliber works very well within certain ranges.

As I type this, I find my gun cabinet lacking a 44 magnum rifle. However, I do happen to have Ruger M77/357. That being said, I have never deer hunted with a 357 magnum. I know a 357 will take a deer, but how is 357 in a carbine compared to a 44 magnum on whitetail?

Any of yall out there have any practical experience to share? Inside of 100 yards, a 44 magnum carbine is just an awesome device for collecting whitetail. I am contemplating possibly trying to off-load the 77/357 to try and get a 77/44. Is it worth the effort to try and trade em up or should I just stick with 357?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

357 ain’t no good. Sell t to me please.
🤣🤣🤣 if i could find a 77/44, I might could be persuaded. At the range, a 77/357 is more fun, versatile, and cheaper to shoot IMO, but I would feel better in whitetail woods with 44 over a 357 based on my experience with 44 on deer.

357 and 158 or 180 grain soft point will take care of a deer fine out 75 yards in carbine! My son used to hunt with 8 3/8 barrel 686 smith revolver and made clean kills to 65 yards on several big deer !

why would you want to choose to use something that is not up to par for deer hunting get you a 30 30 at least. do not just wound a deer for your lack of knowlage

357 and 158 or 180 grain soft point will take care of a deer fine out 75 yards in carbine! My son used to hunt with 8 3/8 barrel 686 smith revolver and made clean kills to 65 yards on several big deer !
I have a ladder stand in some pines and 50-75 is about furthest shot I would have. If 77/357 makes it in the woods this year, that'll be the spot I give her a try. Thx MS.

I have taken a pile of whitetail with a 44 magnum carbine and the caliber works very well with certain ranges.

As I type this, I find my gun cabinet lacking a 44 magnum rifle. However, I do happen to have Ruger M77/357. That being said, I have never deer hunted with a 357 magnum. I know a 357 will take a deer, but how is 357 in a carbine compared to a 44 magnum on whitetail?

Any of yall out there have any practical experience to share? Inside of 100 yards, a 44 magnum carbine is just an awesome device for collecting whitetail. I am contemplating possibly trying to off-load the 77/357 to try and get a 77/44. Is it worth the effort to try and trade em up or should I just stick with 357?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
I've taken a lot of deer with both. Nearly every deer I shot with a 357 had to be shot a second time. The 44 hands down for the win. I've taken deer past the 100yd mark with the 44. That said I do like the 357 cartridge very much, but not for large game. Also the 45Colt would be an excellent choice, I've had great results with this one too

why would you want to choose to use something that is not up to par for deer hunting get you a 30 30 at least. do not just wound a deer for your lack of knowlage
I asked a question to get other folk's perspective on the topic. That doesn't mean that I am completely naive when it comes to firearms and ballistics. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you have helpful info, please feel free to share. If you don't, please keep it to yourself. Thx.

357 Leverevolutions inside a hundred yards are nasty and will probably perform about the same. After all, dead is dead.

I've taken a lot of deer with both. Nearly every deer I shot with a 357 had to be shot a second time. The 44 hands down for the win. I've taken deer past the 100yd mark with the 44. That said I do like the 357 cartridge very much, but not for large game. Also the 45Colt would be an excellent choice, I've had great results with this one too
I appreciate the input yall. Just trying to get as much useful info on the topic before i decide how to proceed. Thx again.

Back
Top Bottom