• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag vs. 357 mag carbine for deer

When I first started handloading, I was experimenting a lot with 357 out of a 20" Rossi 92. I was chronographing 158 grain cast bullets as high as 2200fps, with listed max loads of Hodgdon Lil'gun. Pretty much every load, hand or factory, would gain 400 to 600fps over a 4" barrel when shot out of a 20" barrel.

That's a lot of giddy'up for a .357" projectile, and plenty of Georgia whitetail killing power, as long as the range is modest and the bullet is placed in the right spot.

When I first started handloading, I was experimenting a lot with 357 out of a 20" Rossi 92. I was chronographing 158 grain cast bullets as high as 2200fps, with listed max loads of Hodgdon Lil'gun. Pretty much every load, hand or factory, would gain 400 to 600fps over a 4" barrel when shot out of a 20" barrel.

That's a lot of giddy'up for a .357" projectile, and plenty of Georgia whitetail killing power, as long as the range is modest and the bullet is placed in the right spot.
Solid info, thank you much! I reload, but haven't done very much with 357 magnum as the Ruger carbine was recently acquired and it is the only 357 magnum firearm that I own. I may very well have to research rolling my own 357 magnum ammo to hunt with. Thx again for your input and info.

Back
Top Bottom