• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag vs. 357 mag carbine for deer

I owned a 77/357 and shot a lot of deer with it for about 3 years. All of my shots were under 75 yards and the deer were shot in the lungs / heart directly behind the shoulder / lower foreleg. One was shot in the base of the neck. All were shot with 158 grain semi jacketed hollow points that was sold as hunting ammo under the Monarch brand at Academy Sports. The results are spectacular . The deer " freeze up and shake wobble " their way down to the ground and die. I sold the gun because Academy stopped selling the ammo and I could not find it anymore. The ammo was made by PPU. I still have about 150 +/- rounds of ammo that I use in my revolvers. If you don't have a proper hunting load you are just wasting your time and may just wound deer. Your effective range is limited to 75 yards.

Get a 30-30 or a .308 with a muzzle brake and call it good.

I owned a 77/357 and shot a lot of deer with it for about 3 years. All of my shots were under 75 yards and the deer were shot in the lungs / heart directly behind the shoulder / lower foreleg. One was shot in the base of the neck. All were shot with 158 grain semi jacketed hollow points that was sold as hunting ammo under the Monarch brand at Academy Sports. The results are spectacular . The deer " freeze up and shake wobble " their way down to the ground and die. I sold the gun because Academy stopped selling the ammo and I could not find it anymore. The ammo was made by PPU. I still have about 150 +/- rounds of ammo that I use in my revolvers. If you don't have a proper hunting load you are just wasting your time and may just wound deer. Your effective range is limited to 75 yards.

Get a 30-30 or a .308 with a muzzle brake and call it good.
Proper bullet selection is important as is shot placement. I have a 30-30 and a 308, but really like PCC as a short range hunting and walk around gun. I appreciate it YB.

I did not go back and read all of the comments but I have taken whitetails in Ohio and KS and GA with 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum with pistols. At reasonable distances I would say 100 yd in they are both very capable.
Take a look at this website and compare the various barrel lengths. A. 357 out of a carbine length barrel is very close to 3030 Energy. I plan on a 10mm harvest this season with the 1911.

I did not go back and read all of the comments but I have taken whitetails in Ohio and KS and GA with 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum with pistols. At reasonable distances I would say 100 yd in they are both very capable.
Take a look at this website and compare the various barrel lengths. A. 357 out of a carbine length barrel is very close to 3030 Energy. I plan on a 10mm harvest this season with the 1911.

That is the general gist of what I am hearing and seeing. I know 44 will drop em in their tracks from my own personal past experiences. I had a buddy who hunted with a 4" 586 and dropped quite a few deer out to 50 yards. Just feeling out the ODT crew and yalls experiences. I appreciate it G.

I have a 357 Sig too. A Marlin lever action. It is a blast to shoot but never hunted with it. I have hunted with a 44 Mag and it does a good. I would think that the 357 Sig would do the trick at limited ranges. IMHO.

I do not know if it is still a regulation but Georgia used to have a 22 caliber centerfire minimum with energy of 500 ft lb or greater at 100 yd. That being said, there could be some issues with certain calibers at 100 yd. Not sure if that's still a regulation or not but I remember back in the day it was.

I have a 357 Sig too. A Marlin lever action. It is a blast to shoot but never hunted with it. I have hunted with a 44 Mag and it does a good. I would think that the 357 Sig would do the trick at limited ranges. IMHO.
What's happening brother, pray all is well with you and yours. I truly love a good lever gun, but I don't currently have any in pistol calibers. I kick myself for selling my last 44 carbine, but live and learn. Another one will come around eventually. Be safe my friend and give a holler sometime and let me know how that Steyr 7mm-08 is doing for you.

Back
Top Bottom