• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

454 Casull Reloading

XD9SC

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
I have been reloading 45 colt with HP38 and 255 plated bullets.

I am now needing to reload 454 casull.

In order of importance my reasons to reload are:
1. Cheap loads to plink (by plink I mean I want some power greater than 45 colt but don't need to break my hand).
2. Hunting Loads and Bear defense.

I think I want to go on the heavy side for bullets.

So with all that being said.

- What powder do you guys recommend?
- Any one found some reasonably priced heavy bullets that
one can push kind of hard?

I used to load 454 casull for years. I'll PM you some suggestions later today/tomorrow.
I loaded 45 Colt to +P+ using Super Redhawk numbers and shot them out of Raging Bull. I used Hornady 250 and 300 gr XTPs.
Freedom Arms 300 gr JFP in 454 Casull for my bear and moose loads.
H110 is a good powder, Lil'Gun was another good powder.
Hornady 454 Casull brass was too soft for hunting loads. I used exclusively Winchester.
Starline makes great 45 Colt brass and I loaded it very heavy repeatedly. Out of 500 cases I think I lost one due to a cracked lip (after 5 or 6 loads), rest were fine.
I tried Federal and CCI primers. I liked Federal SR Match for Casull and CCI LP for hot 45 Colt.

I did not go past 300 gr in my loads. You can go as high as 400 grains, if you want to. Shipping bullets to AK is outrageously expensive, and local stores had limited selection at the time.

Last edited:
If I didn't want full power Casull loads, I'd do as above and load heavy .45 Colt.

H110/W296 is great for full power, but not for reduced loads.

Accurate #9 meters great and may be suitable for your app?

Thanks for all the input so far.

I have 454 casull brass and 300 gr xtp JHP orderd.

H110 seems to be popular choice of powder and I will keep an eye open for some as I go into gun stores.

I have some AA5744 on hand and have found load data for 454 casull.

Beginning load 23.2 gr for 300 xtp. Man that is a lot of powder. :)

I also have on hand 255 gr plated bullets from xtreme bullets. AA website has a the following load:

beginning load 25.2 gr @ 1315 FPS

My question is what are the signs to look out for when pushing a plated bullet at higher velocities?

Do your plated bullets have a crimping canneluer? 454 Casull seating/crimping die puts a heavy roll crimp on the bullet (it is necessary with the recoil levels). You probably know this already, but w/o the canneluer, accuracy will be suffer.
As far as sign to look for, I'd start with heavier that usual copper fouling in the barrel. What gun are you using?
Sorry, never PM'ed you. Cannot find my load data after the move.

Do your plated bullets have a crimping canneluer? 454 Casull seating/crimping die puts a heavy roll crimp on the bullet (it is necessary with the recoil levels). You probably know this already, but w/o the canneluer, accuracy will be suffer.
As far as sign to look for, I'd start with heavier that usual copper fouling in the barrel. What gun are you using?
Sorry, never PM'ed you. Cannot find my load data after the move.

Yes, the plated bullets I have has a crimping canneluer .

Ragging judge Magnum

I loaded for the 6.5" Raging Bull (Polished SS, one of the early ones; loved that gun, should not have sold it, but had not thought I'd need a 454 Casull in GA). Raging Judge has more shallow rifling that Raging Bull, so it should be more obvious if plating cannot handle higher velocities. Maybe someone can chime in with a better way of doing it, but I'd keep a flashlight handy and check the bore periodically to make sure you can still see the rifling.
Porting and factory grip will soak up a LOT of recoil. My super loaded 45 Colt felt like underpowered 44 Magnum, cowboy 45 Colt loads felt like 22LR. 454 Casull felt like shooting a 4" 44 Magnum.

If you shoot 45 Colt, buy a .500 bore brush. It will help to get rid of powder ring in the cylinder, otherwise longer cases might get stuck after shooting full power 454 Casull loads.

I have some AA5744 on hand and have found load data for 454 casull.

I also have on hand 255 gr plated bullets from xtreme bullets. AA website has a the following load:

beginning load 25.2 gr @ 1315 FPS

My question is what are the signs to look out for when pushing a plated bullet at higher velocities?

For people's future reference:

The xtreme plated bullets seem to have held together at 1315 fps (Not chronograph just going by published velocities)

Back
Top Bottom