• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

75$ Econo Can?

olchevy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
138   0
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... 75 dollar can? Using oilfilters. And they are actually registered, well the adapter is.
He shoots it on a pistol, a sbr 10/22, and a full auto Ak-74....
Very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacing the oil filter requires sending the can in and having the new filter serialized. At least that was the outcome of thus discussion last time.

Replacing the oil filter requires sending the can in and having the new filter serialized. At least that was the outcome of thus discussion last time.

Yup, only a manufacturer can replace the tube, baffles, etc. Pretty much anything not rubber, plastic, or neoprene has to be replaced by a manufacturer. And honestly you don't want to wait 6 months for that.

I wouldn't think you would have to wait for ATF approval since it will be the same serial number on the same device. I would imagine the only factor would be what type of turn around time the manufacture has.

They should sell it as a kit that requires a form 1 to assemble with an oil filter thus making you the manufacture. Although I'm not sure that would make it any easier.

The other thing is, it is my understanding they are simply etching the serial number onto the oil filter. As oil filters are not serialized themselves, I don't see what would prevent you from replacing the oil filter and etching the serial onto the new one yourself except for the law. I wouldn't imagine there would be anyway to know that you had done this. Especially if you purchased a whole bunch of oil filters from the get go so your filters don't come from manufacture lots newer than your tax stamp.

Sure seems like a bunch of trouble when a quality can is not much more expensive.

The other thing is, it is my understanding they are simply etching the serial number onto the oil filter. As oil filters are not serialized themselves, I don't see what would prevent you from replacing the oil filter and etching the serial onto the new one yourself except for the law. I wouldn't imagine there would be anyway to know that you had done this. Especially if you purchased a whole bunch of oil filters from the get go so your filters don't come from manufacture lots newer than your tax stamp.

Sure seems like a bunch of trouble when a quality can is not much more expensive.

Well if your okay with illegally manufacturing silencers you may as well buy their unserialized "solvent trap" and call it a day.

All around its a dumb idea.

And even if you form1'd it, you couldn't replace suppressor parts. That form 1 gave you the right to build one suppressor. only an 02/07 can possess unregistered suppressor parts.

On the bright side, I know a guy who sells real deal 22 suppressors for only about $100 more.... And they dont have baffles that need to be replaced every 50 rds.

Back
Top Bottom