• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

99% of your Budget AR problems, explained in one article.

The staggered gas rings thing was one of the very first things I was "instructed" to inspect on an AR. I didn't know any different until reading this article lol. Clearly, I do not operate either.
Think on this...

The hole in the carrier that the bolt is inserted into, is not the same diameter along its full length. There is a step inside the carrier that compresses those rings. That's why it gets tighter as the bolt is fully inserted. The rings are actually compressed and the gap in those rings closes. The gap does not exist when the bolt is in the carrier and therefore, staggering does not matter.

Think on this...

The hole in the carrier that the bolt is inserted into, is not the same diameter along its full length. There is a step inside the carrier that compresses those rings. That's why it gets tighter as the bolt is fully inserted. The rings are actually compressed and the gap in those rings closes. The gap does not exist when the bolt is in the carrier and therefore, staggering does not matter.
Makes perfect sense. I never really thought about it before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Common sense should have told me that one, but oh well lol.

Makes perfect sense. I never really thought about it before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Common sense should have told me that one, but oh well lol.
Most folks never think about it. And the old "stagger the rings" myth is perpetuated in part due to it being repeated over and over, but also because the old technical manuals stated it too. It's been taught, erroneously, to thousands and thousands of service members.

Most folks never think about it. And the old "stagger the rings" myth is perpetuated in part due to it being repeated over and over, but also because the old technical manuals stated it also. It's been taught, erroneously, to thousands and thousands of service members.
Yeah, the guy that told it to me originally is a Marine buddy of mine. I took his word for it and never even thought about it again. Thanks for the good explanation. Now I can explain it to anyone that brings it up.

Most folks never think about it. And the old "stagger the rings" myth is perpetuated in part due to it being repeated over and over, but also because the old technical manuals stated it too. It's been taught, erroneously, to thousands and thousands of service members.

Info that might be wrong, but doesn't do any harm, doesn't have a big incentive to get corrected.

Info that might be wrong, but doesn't do any harm, doesn't have a big incentive to get corrected.
100% correct. But it sure is frustrating when people who have no business diagnosing issues, point to gas ring alignment as a solution for shortstroking. Worn out rings, sure. Gas block alignment, absolutely. Loose gas key, yep. But not something as simple and as unpredictable as ring alignment. They are constantly moving and changing positions during cycling. Can you imagine if something so miniscule could actually cause a failure? The AR would have never been issued and the design would have died on the vine.

Back
Top Bottom