• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

9mm AR Upper Questions

Great input. Thanks. I will take all the advice you got to make this easier. I now have to find a barrel which should be fun.

Can I not use my standard 223 buffer, spring, and tube?

Great input. Thanks. I will take all the advice you got to make this easier. I now have to find a barrel which should be fun.

Can I not use my standard 223 buffer, spring, and tube?

I would use a dedicated 9mm buffer, they are quite heavier. you need as much mass as possible behind that bolt. the spring would be fine, but some people opt for xtra power springs.

- - - Updated - - -

Adco is a good source.

I checked out several heavier buffers for 9mm but I wanted it super quiet and I went with an 11oz buffer, sounds crazy having a buffer that heavy but there is no port pop as it delays the bolt opening and everything works great.

I checked out several heavier buffers for 9mm but I wanted it super quiet and I went with an 11oz buffer, sounds crazy having a buffer that heavy but there is no port pop as it delays the bolt opening and everything works great.

My colt came with a heavy buffer. Maybe that's why I don't have port pop. My bolt is rather heavy as well.

Found a guy on internet making 9mm barrels cut and threaded to size for $125 shipped. It may not be a problem but his info says "Heavy Profile" and barrel is not contoured. Does that matter? I haven't found another 5.5" barrel anywhere else.

Also, from what I understand as long as my BCG is ramped then I can use a standard 556 hammer (hope I said that right). Is that correct? Putting the pieces together now.

I've built 3 9mm AR's and am a huge fan.
2 I built with dedicated CMMG lowers, one with an RRA magwell block.
I had a lot of issues around buffers, so I did a BUNCH of research.
I have a Spikes' buffer, a CMMG heavy(er) buffer, and a Heavy Buffers 8.5oz. Both the Spikes and the Heavy buffers are the more reliable choices IMHO.

Here is an excerpt of what I found:

I've been doing a bit of research on 9mm buffers. While what came with the CMMG lower DOES work, I've had a couple of odd things happen like a casing getting caught between the charging handle and the bolt. Things that may benefit from slowing stuff down a bit.

So what's there? (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm still learning a lot of this so some of it's my assumption):

In the pic below, there's a standard DoubleStar carbine buffer on the left. It weighs in at 2.9oz. On the right, there is the buffer from the CMMG lower, it weighs in at 5.4oz.
i270.photobucket.com_albums_jj91_bluesman2a_Tools_iPhoneUpload_1.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell in the picture, but the 9mm buffer is uniformly thicker than the carbine buffer. Where the carbine has a shoulder to capture it up against the spring, the 9mm is the same/larger diameter all the way down.

The buffers are the same length.

What I have read/learned:
1) Spikes makes a spacer that supposedly keeps the bolt from contacting the rear. This can also be accomplished by putting about $1.25 in quarters in your buffer tube to shorten the throw, not an approach I favored.

2) Many folks are using Wolf XPS springs in conjunction with the heavier 9mm buffers to slow things down.

3) Of the buffers I can see, the choices are:
A) Spikes' at 4.05 oz Lower Parts - Spike's ST-9BS & ST-T2 Combo (9mm) [SLA0T2C] - $44.95 : Spikes Tactical
B) YHM at 4.5oz YHM 9mm Buffer Assembly
C) HeavyBuffers 9mm Q-Buffer at 8.5oz or 12oz. Heavy Buffers | Products
D) RRA at 5.6 oz
E) Tactical Intent seems to have a range up to 5.4oz: Amazon.com: Tactical Intent Carbine Buffer Asm for AR15 (various Weights): Sports & Outdoors
F) Hahn Precision at 7.0 oz Sub Caliber Buffer

img.photobucket.com_albums_v145_ZekeMenuar1_BufferTable_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom