• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A slight change in tune of my opinion on the 380.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I have always said that the 380 is insufficient for self defense. Some of you may already know that. :rolleyes:

However, there is now a 380 ACP bullet that falls within the FBI standard for SD. The 90 grain Hornady XTP at 1000fps MV. It is the only bullet in the 380 that will consistently meet the FBI standard of penetration between 12 and 18 inches while still achieving full expansion. This applies in ballistics gel and gel with four layers of denim up front. The energy is still very low, but at least it does the damage called for in a permanent wound channel.

I will no longer scoff at your foolishness for carrying a 380 ACP for SD... as long as this is your bullet of choice.

See, even I can change my mind. :yo:

I don't care about energy out of a self defense pistol because quite honestly they all suck. What I do care about is penetration and expansion. If the little 380 can meet the criteria, I may have to rethink my disdain for the little 380 and pickup a LCP again.

I have always said that the 380 is insufficient for self defense. Some of you may already know that. :rolleyes:

However, there is now a 380 ACP bullet that falls within the FBI standard for SD. The 90 grain Hornady XTP at 1000fps MV. It is the only bullet in the 380 that will consistently meet the FBI standard of penetration between 12 and 18 inches while still achieving full expansion. This applies in ballistics gel and gel with four layers of denim up front. The energy is still very low, but at least it does the damage called for in a permanent wound channel.

I will no longer scoff at your foolishness for carrying a 380 ACP for SD... and long as this is your bullet of choice.

I have a .380 on me almost all the time. However I carry a more significant caliber whenever possible. But the little gun can be carried about anywhere, that's not always the case with my "better" guns.

Glad to know there's suitable 380 round. I really like these double stack models that Zenith is importing from Turkey. But it's kinda hard to justify buying one except for the increased capacity. From what I see it's as big as my 709 which is 9mm and about the same size and weight as my Makarov in 9x18. I guess my point is that it's avery nice looking quality piece but on the big side for a 380. I think these were probably intended for other world markets where civilians can't own guns in 9mm.
upload_2017-3-3_15-15-3.jpeg

I will no longer scoff at your foolishness for carrying a 380 ACP for SD... and long as this is your bullet of choice.

That is the round I used when I had a P238.

Back
Top Bottom