• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A visit with Mr. Greenjeans

Did you just insinuate the OP caused a problem with the warden?? Dayummm... :D
lol, nope. I'm never that subtle. ;)
I'm glad he posted. Haven't shot one in 2 years (was pretty much out of town all last season) but THIS year...... It was a good reminder about the process (that's still new to me).

Tangential, but I've imported trophies myself three times, and as part of that paperwork you have to engage with Fish and Wildlife... and they are the nicest most helpful branch of the government I've ever encountered. The only one, come to think of it.

Super nice. They will actually CALL YOU BACK if needed. The ones I have dealt with down by the airport are all hunters and want to talk hunting with you. You also have to deal with Customs... and they are inefficient, unhelpful, and unfriendly.

I know a guy who was working a gobbler and it was about 80 yards out. The bastard snuck up, spooked the gobbler and blew the hunt just to check his license. Something you could expect on public land but it was at the very back of a 400 acre lease surrounded by thousands of acres of other private land. This was probably 15 years ago

I know two of them on semi personal levels and both are great guys and passionate about hunting.

About 4-5 years ago I had a nice little corn pile with my camera on it on the middle of nowhere on our property. How the game warden found it I have no idea. But this was a couple weeks before the season started, and when I checked the camera a few days before bow season, I saw the warden and my corn pile gone. Opening day I’m in the stand and boom 11 am here comes greenie. He tells me to come down the tree and walk back to the truck with him. When I explained I had him on camera and intentionally came back to hunt because I check to make sure all corn was gone, this dude walked over to my spot and dug around under the leaves, and pulled and dried up gray kernel of corn and said this is hunting over corn.... it has to be gone for two weeks. I said I was sorry and if I thought I was doing anything wrong I wouldn’t have been hunting it since I had him on camera. I thought the situation should’ve warranted a warning, but he gave me a ticket that was over $200. Ignorance of the law does not exempt you from it!!!! But in his defense, he was fresh outta school, and I called the previous two game wardens before him I personally knew and they knew exactly how he was and was pretty disgusted. But since then I’ve called that sucker if I ever have a question and he’s been nothing but nice. Sucky lesson learned since I was trying my best to abide by The law.... or so I thought.

About 4-5 years ago I had a nice little corn pile with my camera on it on the middle of nowhere on our property. How the game warden found it I have no idea. But this was a couple weeks before the season started, and when I checked the camera a few days before bow season, I saw the warden and my corn pile gone. Opening day I’m in the stand and boom 11 am here comes greenie. He tells me to come down the tree and walk back to the truck with him. When I explained I had him on camera and intentionally came back to hunt because I check to make sure all corn was gone, this dude walked over to my spot and dug around under the leaves, and pulled and dried up gray kernel of corn and said this is hunting over corn.... it has to be gone for two weeks. I said I was sorry and if I thought I was doing anything wrong I wouldn’t have been hunting it since I had him on camera. I thought the situation should’ve warranted a warning, but he gave me a ticket that was over $200. Ignorance of the law does not exempt you from it!!!! But in his defense, he was fresh outta school, and I called the previous two game wardens before him I personally knew and they knew exactly how he was and was pretty disgusted. But since then I’ve called that sucker if I ever have a question and he’s been nothing but nice. Sucky lesson learned since I was trying my best to abide by The law.... or so I thought.
I know a guy who had a similar incident happen in jasper County. The crappy thing in most counties people hunt in if you went 1 County, or 1 hour south back then it would be perfectly legal.

Anyone remember this old story: They gave him a warning up for not having enough orange and hunting from the road.

i went to cohutta for the 4 day hunt last week. thur. morning a hunter shot a bear 200 yds from me. i helped him track this bear for 2 or 3 hrs. bear scat every where , white oak limbs torn down, trees climbed sign every where. we lost track of the bear and could not find it. i saw nothing thur. afternoon. friday morning i hunted by a creek untill 10 oclock and really thought i would see a bear but did not. got in my truck drove about 400yds and saw a bear out of the corner of my eye about 75 yds off the road i looked back to see how big it was, looked to be 150 or200 #s. iam driving the truck and do not have time to see the bear for very long. i tell myself the bear is over 50 yds off the road and is big enough to shoot so it is legal, i drive down the road about 400yds park truck,put my orange vest on and get my rifle and walk way down in the woods and come up on this bear from the woods side, peep head over hill there it is duck back down take a few carefull steps raise up a little and shoot bear. i stand up and bear does not move i said oh no how much is this going to cost me. i think i am legal. the GW yells i walk to bear. taxidermist did agreat job looked life like. the GW asked me where did u come from, how did u get here, i told him i parked at the camp down the road. he said are u camped there, i said no, he said were u parked on the road i said yes, he said i scared him to death when i shot. he said were u in the truck that went by and i said yes. he said come on. he said he had never had anyone shoot the decoy from the woods. he did not know what to do. the 3 GWs talked it over and said he was going to give me 2 warning tickets. 1 for not enough orange, i had bought the orange at walmart, 2 for( hunting from the road) because i had saw the bear from truck he said it was pursing game with a vehicle. never heard of it. i thought i was legal. i am glad they were warning tickets............short version alot more talking to gw......

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

Back
Top Bottom