• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Abandoned Truck on my property, need suggestions

27FB65AF-BD15-4A3A-B017-947B8281EB63.png

Miniguns are a cool way to use up unwanted motor vehicles.

I have a buddy whose dad took a Nissan Sentra on trade , with the stipulation it was parts only ( I assumed it was stolen but he believed the guys story) . My friend's dad got the body parts he wanted off and my buddy and I commenced to performing " Dukes of Hazard " style feats. Who knew a Sentra could run over an old washing machine,small trees, jump terraces and keep on going. If it runs...

Sounds like they had a white trash redneck renters mentality and you were not wanting to tick them off too much.

Nice only goes so far....you warned them so it should be no shock when they find out the truck is gone but it seems like they had no intention of removing it from the property and would rather lie about it .....besides they were too stupid to just tell the truth and say they didn’t want to deal with it.

Had a similar situation when I bought a property earlier this year. Seller made a big deal out of "having time" to get his stuff out of there. He just needed the money from the sale first to rent a truck to get "everything". Was even aggravating the realtor because they feared I was going to back out of the sale because of it, but it was such a great deal that I didn't care.

Ended up taking a few pieces of furniture I was going to donate/throw away and some dirty undergarments that were in the hallway when I did the walk of the dwelling. Took some dirty mattresses too. Left a pile of junk outside. Seriously, all of that BS about "needing time" and "could I have a month to get my stuff" all for probably one or two truckloads of crap, and he left the few items that were actually worth decent money. Everything that I would have loved for him to take, oh he left that crap. Haven't found any vehicles yet but still haven't walked every inch of the property since it's a lot of acreage. Some people are just like that, but from my first "home" buying experience the second time around I'll definitely negotiate anything like that prior to signing an agreement.

Whatever you do with their property, do it in a manner that will hold up in court. If they are sorry enough to leave it on your property, if they get a chance they'll sue you for every penny they can get. You could also face criminal charges if their property is removed without the proper authorization. Going to court sucks. Being a defendant sucks worst of all.... Internet advice won't protect you in a criminal or civil suit...

Yeah, I once defended a landlord charged with theft for removing an ex-tenant's property. He threw some stuff away, donated some to Goodwill, and kept a few things for his own use. Morally, this was 100% legit and the property was abandoned. But legally, property left behind by a tenant is NOT abandoned, and you must get an eviction order from the court to dispose of it, and you can NEVER keep it or sell it. The court order will tell you to set it out by the curb.

P.S. This doesn't apply to any motor vehicles, or boats, but I'm just saying, for future reference as to regular personal property.

Whatever you do with their property, do it in a manner that will hold up in court. If they are sorry enough to leave it on your property, if they get a chance they'll sue you for every penny they can get. You could also face criminal charges if their property is removed without the proper authorization. Going to court sucks. Being a defendant sucks worst of all.... Internet advice won't protect you in a criminal or civil suit...

It's been gone for a while.

The best way to have handled it from the start would have been to have my real estate agent negotiate with them a definite date and time they need to pick the stuff up by or it would be removed and disposed of at their expense, and have that in writing and signed, before we actually closed on the house. Even if I would have given them a month from the closing date (which sounds like a lot of time) from the get-go, that would still have been better than going through the whole fiasco and worrying about everything legally, it would have been a lot simpler process because they would have a firm deadline they knew they had to adhere to.

I spoke with a local attorney about the matter and he said what I did with the certified letter was perfect and he started to laugh halfway through me telling him how about everything I've done to give them every chance to get it off the property. He said they wouldn't come back for it, and if they did I would be fine because I did everything right legally.

Back
Top Bottom