• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice on action to take after being threatened with a gun

The idea was to solicit advice.

You cannot possibly know someone's intent. What do you feel would have constituted being in danger? Should I wait until I am in danger before I start taking advice on planning or start thinking about taking action?

Just curious?

There are men of word and men of action. If he intended to use the gun (if there was actually a gun in the bag) he would have it in hand not bag and he would not have to run home for it. If someone is going to shoot you, he would best be served by not telling you that he is going to do it. Like a boxer does not announce "next I will be throwing the left jab". For this reason I don't worry about the "I'll kick your ass" guys; it's the silent type I keep an eye on.

You want advice? Here you go…

1. Be friendly with your neighbors because they are your first line of defense against robbery. A handshake and a beer go a long way. You may find that your downstairs neighbor works midnights and an exchange of phone numbers can avoid a confrontation. Wouldn't a text saying "keep it down up there" be preferable to banging on the ceiling.

2. Remember and remind your kids that you share walls and floors with people who may work at different hours. Your "afternoon" may be his 3am. If you want to make noise whenever the hell you like, buy a house. Your kids need to blow off some energy? Try taking them outside.

3. Always, always, always have a pistol handy when you answer the door or better yet, just always have a pistol handy. Be polite, professional and prepared to kill everyone you meet.

4. Don't escalate arguments. The louder he gets the softer your voice should become. He will have to stop yelling to hear what you are saying. Be humble. You will win 100% of the fights you avoid.

Last edited:
There are men of word and men of action. If he intended to use the gun (if there was actually a gun in the bag) he would have it in hand not bag and he would not have to run home for it. If someone is going to shoot you, he would best be served by not telling you that he is going to do it. Like a boxer does not announce "next I will be throwing the left jab". For this reason I don't worry about the "I'll kick your ass" guys; it's the silent type I keep an eye on.

1. Be friendly with your neighbors because they are your first line of defense against robbery. A handshake and a beer go a long way. You may find that your downstairs neighbor works midnights and an exchange of phone numbers can avoid a confrontation. Wouldn't a text saying "keep it down up there" be preferable to banging on the ceiling.

2. Remember and remind your kids that you share walls and floors with people who may work at different hours. Your "afternoon" may be his 3am. If you want to make noise whenever the hell you like, buy a house. Your kids need to blow off some energy? Try taking them outside.

3. Always, always, always have a pistol handy when you answer the door or better yet, just always have a pistol handy. Be polite, professional and prepared to kill everyone you meet.

4. Don't escalate arguments. The louder he gets the softer your voice should become. He will have to stop yelling to hear what you are saying. Be humble. You will win 100% of the fights you avoid.

Good advice. Thanks CaptDave77.

Is it possible there were Christmas cookies in the bag?

It could have been the parts from the Ruger Mk II .22 he took apart & unsuccessfully tried to put back together.

It sounds more menacing to say that you've got a gun in a bag then to show someone one that is disassembled...

(Just adding more light-heartedness to the thread. But like the OP, I would take the actual situation serious though.)

Last edited:
Now that you know carry, path of least resistance: do not approach, do not threaten, do not engage, no conversation what so ever if possible. If he ever comes to your door again do not answer it, tell him through the door to call the management if he has an issue. Document everything. If he comes to your door armed tell him through the door to leave immediately that you have children in the house call the management call the police, document, file a police report. If he comes through the door shoot to kill, I recommend 10mm, 40, 357mag if wheel gun.

A gun was never produced so it's only speculation and he could have been trying to intimidate you with a bag full of rocks....who knows.

Regardless this guy sounds like a loose cannon and you mentioned he's a downstairs neighbors so I can only assume that you're renting an upstairs apartment maybe?sorry did not read all posts.

My advice is move and in the meantime set up a visible infrared camera and a recording monitor just in case he acts up at your door again which he probably won't in the presence of a camera but if he does you will have proof to show the cops if he does something stupid again.(but) if you're renting this may not be approved.

Chances are this is not the last you will hear from this douchebag so given the fact that you have kids there I would move plain and simple because as much as you would like to punch this guys time ticket it ain't worth putting yourself and family through any more grief with this future Darwin Award recipient.

In the meantime please inform as many neighbors as possible what happened and to BOLO for this guy.

Last edited:
A gun was never produced so it's only speculation and he could have been trying to intimidate you with a bag full of rocks....who knows.

Regardless this guy sounds like a loose cannon and you mentioned he's a downstairs neighbors so I can only assume that you're renting an upstairs apartment maybe?sorry did not read all posts.

My advice is move and in the meantime set up a visible infrared camera and a recording monitor just in case he acts up at your door again which he probably won't in the presence of a camera but if he does you will have proof to show the cops if he does something stupid again.(but) if you're renting this may not be approved.

Chances are this is not the last you will hear from this douchebag so given the fact that you have kids there I would move plain and simple because as much as you would like to punch this guys time ticket it ain't worth putting yourself and family through any more grief with this future Darwin Award recipient.

In the meantime please inform as many neighbors as possible what happened and to BOLO for this guy.

im pretty sure threatening someone with an implied gun is just as serious

robbing a store with your hand in your pocket saying you have a gun is still robbery with a firearm, even if one is not there

solid

Back
Top Bottom