• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice on action to take after being threatened with a gun

Start counting to 10, when you get to 7 knock the mother ****er in the mouth. He won't know what hit him and won't be looking forward to anything happening until you get to 10.

Ask the apartment management about switching apartments. Maybe with any luck they have one open on the other side of the complex and be able to avoid any kind of confrontation in the future. I know it sucks but you do have kids to think about. Sometimes it may be better to swallow the pride than something bad happen with the kids around.

This probably where I am headed. Probably also going to get a .223 rifle. I've been meaning to get one- I guess this makes the decision more simple.

Not entirely sure I would be wanting to possibly be firing off multiple rounds off .223 in/ around an apartment complex with thin walls.
If the average hit potential off a L.E.O. is 20% (1 out of 5 rounds) as a civilian with (probably) less training I would be concerned about the potential for overpenetration.

A 12 gauge shotgun w/ #6, #4 or no more than #1 buckshot would possibly be a better option.

Situations like these ( we call them "freebies"...) are good opportunities to review what you did right & wrong, what you would do different, what steps need to be taken to prevent escalation, what documentation you have with the police or would like to have in case the other party escalates, & what are your plans/ options to deal with anything from another passive-aggressive encounter all the way to a surprise armed ambush at close range. Many armed encounters happen at very close ranges where there is a huge difference between shooting a gun vs. fighting with one at arms length in a surprise attack.

I would also highly recommend reading up on the laws on the use of deadly force beforehand. It would be better than learning them in court or from behind bars.

Great thoughts and excellent points. I view this experience as a freebie and I will plan accordingly. I'll need to do some additional research but I have a number of ideas on how to reduce risk to my family and fortify my defensive position as necessary.

Sucks to have A-Hole neighbors (been there..). The apartment management is responsible to make sure you live in a safe environment. Make sure they have a complaint in writing about your neighbor threatening you with a gun.

FYI - If the idiot does have a Georgia Firearms License, he is pretty darned ignorant about the laws of the state. You can not feel "threatened" and announce that you are going to go get your gun and then voluntarily return to the place where you felt threatened. That pretty much negates the Self Defense argument.

I said as much to the responding officers and they didn't seem to see my point. He started the confrontation, he escalated it, and at the end of the day the leo's voiced that they could just as easily arrest me as him.

Here is a great thread about using deadly force that I saved a link to.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/396634-At-what-point-can-I-use-deadly-force

Not a bad thread to reference but I was referring to actually reading the related O.C.G.A. codes.

By the way I agree w/ what I've read of your advice on this matter.
It's good to hear compared to the earlier days on this forum.

Lots of advice back then ( & occasionally now) sounded like scripts from a bad action movie.

A 12 gauge shotgun w/ #6, #4 or no more than #1 buckshot would possibly be a better option.

Damn straight, this is my boom stick! Seriously, penetration is a serious issue in thin walled apartments, #4 high brass in the confines of a small room/apartment is devastating.... Don't think it isn't or be told otherwise.

Let me get this straight.

Your kids were being noisy in the afternoon, guy bangs on the ceiling, runs upstairs unarmed, argues, runs downstairs to get gun, and returns with a gun in a bag?

You were never in any danger.

Back
Top Bottom