• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice on action to take after being threatened with a gun

ZEBRADAVID1999

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
1   0
Reaction score
The other day my downstairs neighbor apparently lost his mind and started by banging on the ceiling and then he ran upstairs and starting hammering on my door. I stepped outside to speak to him.

Apparently he was ticked off that my kids were making noise (it was after noon) and long story short started threatening me and obviously I didn't take well to that and so the argument turned up and next thing I know he runs downstairs saying that he is licensed to carry.

I obviously take that as the threat that it was and step back into my house and dial 911. As I am on the telephone he returns upstairs with a small bag with what I assume is holding his gun. Starts with more threats about how I better be calling the cops and how his dad is a LEO, etc.

LEO's arrive and make contact with me. I tell them what's going on and then they talk to downstairs neighbor. He claims that I was threatening. Cops say that they cannot do anything about the situation because there are no witnesses. I say he threatens me with a gun says he has a permit and then goes back and gets it and comes back up the stairs. How else would I know he has a permit unless he threatened me and told me he had one. (Clearly if I was acting in a threatening manner it would be reasonable for him to go and get a gun and come back.)

Looking for some thoughts and advice on this one?

Thanks ODT.

If there are no witnesses or other evidence there's nothing you can do. You should have at least recorded the conversation with him on your phone or something. Even just the voice with no pictures would be enough. Just be prepared next time.

File a report he threatened you with a gun and next time he brings his bag to a gunfight blow his ****ing brains out.Well maybe talk to the police about it all.

if this happened when my kid was home I would dial 1911 instead of 911. It has a much faster response time. I would try to avoid neighbor but also do whatever it takes to protect the family.

You can not do anything. If I were you try to resolve it calmly. I am saying that from my point of view, because if he did that again I would help his ass down the stairs,then it escalates and turns into slashed tires,keyed cars then a gunfight. Try to resolve then end the conversation with a nice if you do not like it, leave!

If there are no witnesses or other evidence there's nothing you can do. You should have at least recorded the conversation with him on your phone or something. Even just the voice with no pictures would be enough. Just be prepared next time.

Things happened so fast in this situation. I wish I had thought about recording it. I sure as heck wasn't going to being someone from the family to witness it. I don't carry at home but, I may need to re-think that.

I hope that there was at least some sort of incident report completed by the police. I hate to sound like a keyboard commando, but that guy would NOT get a second chance to threaten me with a gun at my own front door, especially if I had children with me. If you end up having to punch his card you'll be well served by a police report stating that he had previously threatened you with a firearm and HAD TAKEN AFFIRMATIVE STEPS towards carrying out that threat. I think if I were you I'd probably contact the agency that responded and politely ask to speak to a supervisor. Just as a follow up to make sure that they documented the incident.

In the interim, obviously you should avoid him if at all possible. I sure wouldn't want to be in your situation.

Remember: "I was in fear for my life and the lives of my children. He had threatened us previously with a gun and this time he left me no choice but to act in self defense. I want to cooperate with your investigation but I don't wish to make any further statements at this time until I've consulted with an attorney."

Back
Top Bottom