• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on AR pistol

I forgot to mention, although he can not advertise this bit of information I am about to drop on you, like the Death Star a lot of people died to get me this information. His own barrel line is made by the same manufacturer as Wilson Combats. He always has short barrels lying around because he primarily does shorter barrel set ups now. 100 for an upper, 120 for a real good bolt carrier group and I think his shorter barrels are under 200. You are looking a little over 300 before a hand-guard. It's one of the most expensive parts of the build. Pick the one of your choice and put it together. Hell I will assemble it for free. You can save on shipping for a short ride up 575 right in the Woodstock area. Then you know you have a great piece of equipment and somewhere to go if something goes haywire ( he backs his parts like Christ ). Take your lower in and let him select fit the upper( he has cases of them ) to match the lower perfectly and then there will be no slop in your lower to upper fit. It's the only way to fly. You see what you are getting and can handle it before you make a huge mistake and decide to roll the dice with PSA. If you are working with a light budget then Optics Planet have Trinity Force hand-guards for 89 bucks. They had problems with them loosening after a while but then milled a groove in the barrel nut to secure it with a set screw ( problem solved ). I have one on my 14.5 inch 6.8 build and it's a good solid piece of kit. It's a good way to save a hunsky. You can't walk around the range and say " I've got a KAK! I've got a KAK! I've got a KAK " but that would cost you almost as much as the whole upper. That's a good option but he also has budget parts that will hold up just a good and you can save there if need be. Give him a shout. He is open on Saturdays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and he has a walk in shop to look at the goods. It's a great way to build a gun and keep the money in the ODT community and in the Atlanta Metro Area. Also, someone to go back to if there are any problems. There are a lot of guys on Outdoors Trader that will back me up on this one. Steve is a great guy to deal with. He will bend over backward to please. SR Armory (678)-230-8832 and Steve will answer. I have spent a small fortune in parts at his place. It's my go to place for builds.

Thanks for this, great info. I'm definitely going to stopping by his shop. I've decided I want an AR pistol, just haven't decided on the particulars like caliber and barrel length. It'd be nice to pick his brain about what I want to do with it and get his recommendations, then build it. Who should I tell him referred me when I go?

I have built a few 10.5 223 Wyldes and Blackouts which have worked out. I am in the process of building and testing the 762x39. I prefer the 10.5 as a compromise between Bullet Velocity and Overall Weapon Size. If you reload do a Blackout, if not then the 762x39 is the ticket.

I've never seen a setup like that. How does it work without a buffer & Spring to slam the bolt back forward?
It's a piston operated gun. As such, there's no receiver extension required. Only ARs with a direct impingement gas system require the use of receiver extensions, buffers, and buffer springs.

Thank you Johnny, I never even thought about it being a piston gun. I've built a lot of regular ARs but have never done a piston gun, maybe its about time to begin studying that option.

Attachments

• 50220170410911amIMG_1523.jpg
    50220170410911amIMG_1523.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom