• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AITA for not training folks for free?

As someone already said, you might be a asshole but not for this. I like the frank answers you give when asked your opinion. On several occasions when I have been in the store for a part, the gun comes back with it installed. Thank you.

It seems like you ran into a bug on the windshield of life. Scrape it off and carry on.

I made a comment a while back, stating that I don't train folks for free, and that I guess I'm an ass for stating so. Apparently, it pissed at least a few folks off.

It COSTS me money to train someone. Costs me money just to take a friend to the range to plink around. Costs me money to take myself to range and just train MYSELF, all by my lonesome.

As a professional Instructor with an LLC, I maintain over $3 million in professional liability insurance, which I pay a yearly fee for. Goes everywhere I go.

I train on a piece of private property that isn't open to the public. I pay to use that.

My paper/cardboard/steel/moving targets, 1x2's, spray paint, batteries, timers, and target frames are all paid for by me. They get shot up/wore out/used up, they have to be replaced. Fuel to get to the range and back, and whatever ammo I shoot while demonstrating.

By far, the biggest expense to me is the time that I expend. Now that I'm "retired", I have 4 jobs. I'm at my full-time job 5 days a week. I try and take care of what I need to do for my other 3 jobs on the 2 days that I am "off".

My go-to plan for my 2 days off per week is to spend as much of that time as possible with my family. If I'm going to do anything for anyone for free on those 2 days, it will be my family, not a stranger I met on the internet. Folks that want me to take time away from my family will have to pay for that time. To do otherwise would mean that I value time spent with strangers as much as the time I spend with my family. Not even close.

I never ask anyone to do anything with compensation. To do otherwise means that I do not value their time, which is an insult.

Semper Fi!
You gotta see the male nurse for free cerakote.
Nothing is free in life. People who expect free need to change their thinking. To me the most valuable thing I have is time. What is my time worth.

NTA! Let’s see if that Barista will pick me up at home, take me to their coffee shoppe and give me a tall pumpkin spice latte, and bring me back home, all for free.
I have my suspicions that the instigator of Cmshoot's ire is:

A closet Democrat who is always looking for handouts....from the people who actually go to work.

A founding member and administrator of
Black Lives Matter organization who may also have dreams of reparations while skimming funds from the unknowing contributors.

Hardcore Hillary Clinton aficionado trying to sway Google into unblocking the Epstein party videos.

Pissed because Walmart made him park his Cadillac behind the store while he panhandles out front.

Self identifies as useful.

All joking aside...it was probably someone who could easily afford to take the class but feels entitled not to pay for stuff/services.

I know people like that and try not to associate with them unless I have to.
freaking hilariou!

Luke 10:7 "For the laborer is worthy of his wage."

Anyone with knowledge or skill that was attained through years of work or study is within their rights to profit from their efforts. Attorneys don't hand out free legal advice. Doctors charge their patients. Your abilities are no less hard won.

Will do, Thanks. I will check with Twin Oak Gun range here in Dublin, Ga. What kind of area do you need? They have a 300yd., 100yd., and a few 50yd pistol ranges.

Will do, Thanks. I will check with Twin Oak Gun range here in Dublin, Ga. What kind of area do you need? They have a 300yd., 100yd., and a few 50yd pistol ranges.

That would depend on what course I was teaching. Pistol and carbine courses are most popular, and sounds like the right type of range for those.

Back
Top Bottom