• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Alaska Handgun Recommendations

At 72oz a smith Wesson 500 is a fast handling extremely
Quick to bring on target Bear ass kicking machine that most people couldn't put two rounds in a trash can at ten feet in 5 seconds, I do not understand this equation 90% of people in a self defense situation would want a firearm that time from recoil to target acquisition is fast. Why do so many think that a bear is any diffrent. Let alone tote the damn thing everywhere you go.
I bet the bear would be confused but still admire the potential effectiveness. Berny?

At 72oz a smith Wesson 500 is a fast handling extremely
Quick to bring on target Bear ass kicking machine that most people couldn't put two rounds in a trash can at ten feet in 5 seconds, I do not understand this equation 90% of people in a self defense situation would want a firearm that time from recoil to target acquisition is fast. Why do so many think that a bear is any diffrent. Let alone tote the damn thing everywhere you go.
Because the physiology of a big bear takes a lot more to impress than an average handgun round can deliver. Also, in a bear encounter, you can pretty much count on the idea that only the first round is going to be at any distance. Everything after that will be point blank if the first one didn't turn him.

Because the physiology of a big bear takes a lot more to impress than an average handgun round can deliver. Also, in a bear encounter, you can pretty much count on the idea that only the first round is going to be at any distance. Everything after that will be point blank if the first one didn't turn him.

^ This. You don't bring a handgun to a bear fight. You use a shotgun or a big bore rifle and stop him before he gets close, or consider yourself dead.

I've hiked in a lot of places, including Alaska, and encountered many bear. Every single bear, except one, I have seen has been it's ass-end running away because he/she knew I was coming. The only bear that ever came close was a juvenile black bear that was half starved. If it would've have been a real bear, the last thing I would've have wanted was a nice shiny handgun. If anyone insists on carrying a HG only, then make sure you file the front sight so it'll go in smooth when the bear shoves it up your ass. :thumb:

Look the only thing that kills is blood loss or central nervous system shutting down that's it if I can have 4 Chances to hit it I'll take it. you can have your one.

Look the only thing that kills is blood loss or central nervous system shutting down that's it if I can have 4 Chances to hit it I'll take it. you can have your one.
And here we go again. Are you more interested in killing the bear or stopping the bear from killing you? The bear probably won't die until after the incident is over, so what do you think will stop the attack better? A 9mm or a round that can deliver basically the same energy as a 308 Win?

BTW, a typical SD handgun round probably can't even reach the CNS in a large bear that is charging unless you get a flush hit to the very front of the skull. The additional penetration that a big bore revolver gives you increases the areas that a hit can reach the CNS by about ten times. Just about any hit to the skull will penetrate. If you hit high during the charge it will penetrate enough to get to the spine. If you're down and shooting up, it can fully penetrate the body cavity and reach the spine.

And here we go again. Are you more interested in killing the bear or stopping the bear from killing you? The bear probably won't die until after the incident is over, so what do you think will stop the attack better? A 9mm or a round that can deliver basically the same energy as a 308 Win?

BTW, a typical SD handgun round probably can't even reach the CNS in a large bear that is charging unless you get a flush hit to the very front of the skull. The additional penetration that a big bore revolver gives you increases the areas that a hit can reach the CNS by about ten times. Just about any hit to the skull will penetrate. If you hit high during the charge it will penetrate enough to get to the spine. If you're down and shooting up, it can fully penetrate the body cavity and reach the spine.
Soooo your saying we should pick up a .40 cal. :pound::pound::pound:

Back
Top Bottom