• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Bicyclists in the house? Road? Mountain? Hybrid?

All the spandex pointy helmet riders enjoy your hobby, like I do mine, just know that all that spandex and pointy helmets won't help in a collision with a motor vehicle, regardless of legality, I almost hit one this morning coming home from Church, they were riding 2 abreast in 45 mph traffic, in a blind curve, a little stupid and not legal per Ga Bicycle laws,

(b) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except when:

(1) Turning left;

(2) Avoiding hazards to safe cycling;

(3) The lane is too narrow to share safely with a motor vehicle;

(4) Traveling at the same speed as traffic;

(5) Exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; or

(6) There is a right turn only lane and the person operating the bicycle is not turning right; provided, however, that every person operating a bicycle away from the right side of the roadway shall exercise reasonable care and shall give due consideration to the other applicable rules of the road.

(c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special event permit issued by a local governing authority permits riding more than two abreast.
(f) Any person operating a bicycle in a bicycle lane shall ride in the same direction as traffic on the roadway.

All the spandex pointy helmet riders enjoy your hobby, like I do mine, just know that all that spandex and pointy helmets won't help in a collision with a motor vehicle, regardless of legality, I almost hit one this morning coming home from Church, they were riding 2 abreast in 45 mph traffic, in a blind curve, a little stupid and not legal per Ga Bicycle laws,

(b) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except when:

(1) Turning left;

(2) Avoiding hazards to safe cycling;

(3) The lane is too narrow to share safely with a motor vehicle;

(4) Traveling at the same speed as traffic;

(5) Exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; or

(6) There is a right turn only lane and the person operating the bicycle is not turning right; provided, however, that every person operating a bicycle away from the right side of the roadway shall exercise reasonable care and shall give due consideration to the other applicable rules of the road.

(c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special event permit issued by a local governing authority permits riding more than two abreast.
(f) Any person operating a bicycle in a bicycle lane shall ride in the same direction as traffic on the roadway.

All that you say is true and appreciate your view point since I not only ride a bicycle but also drive a truck, a car and a motorcycle on occasion. The fact is that in towns, cities or whatever, we are all in too big of a hurry and a little patience will go a long way to keep us all safe. I ride roads that are less traveled and still don't feel safe due to people who text, drive to fast, pass on hills and in curves on double yellow lines. And then there are those who just don't like seeing all that "spandex pointy helmet" stuff out where they can see it. However, you left out this law pertaining to bicycles

40-6-56.
(a) As used in this Code section, the term 'safe distance' means not less than three feet.
(b) Notwithstanding any provision of this article to the contrary, when feasible, the operator of a motor vehicle, when overtaking and passing a bicycle that is proceeding in the same direction on the roadway, shall leave a safe distance between such vehicle and the bicycle and shall maintain such clearance until safely past the overtaken bicycle.

I can't count the times some smartass has nearly hit me because they felt the need to "scare" me. One day they may catch a 357 slug in they're back window.

And really, cleaning blood, spandex and pointy helmets out of your grill is a lot of work :)

All that you say is true and appreciate your view point since I not only ride a bicycle but also drive a truck, a car and a motorcycle on occasion. The fact is that in towns, cities or whatever, we are all in too big of a hurry and a little patience will go a long way to keep us all safe. I ride roads that are less traveled and still don't feel safe due to people who text, drive to fast, pass on hills and in curves on double yellow lines. And then there are those who just don't like seeing all that "spandex pointy helmet" stuff out where they can see it. However, you left out this law pertaining to bicycles

40-6-56.
(a) As used in this Code section, the term 'safe distance' means not less than three feet.
(b) Notwithstanding any provision of this article to the contrary, when feasible, the operator of a motor vehicle, when overtaking and passing a bicycle that is proceeding in the same direction on the roadway, shall leave a safe distance between such vehicle and the bicycle and shall maintain such clearance until safely past the overtaken bicycle.

I can't count the times some smartass has nearly hit me because they felt the need to "scare" me. One day they may catch a 357 slug in they're back window.

And really, cleaning blood, spandex and pointy helmets out of your grill is a lot
Agreed Reloader, I did leave that out DUE, to the fact that to allow the required 3 ft., a motorist themselves, due to a cyclist not obeying their own requirement of must break traffic laws and cross the centerline which is a tickatable offense and could well result in a head on with another vehicle killing many riders, as the bicycle chugs on along
not obeying their own requirement of, "shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway", if they all did that and not 3 ft from the right sideline, in the traffic lane, we could "all just get along".

the law states "shall not ride MORE than 2 abreast", that means 2 abreast is fine. not more than 2 abreast.

-snip-

the law states "shall not ride MORE than 2 abreast", that means 2 abreast is fine. not more than 2 abreast.
I stand corrected, but also want to keep all cyclists in mind that 2 abreast or in center of lane could lead to serious consequences for rider or veh driver and passengers if in a blind curve or on real narrow roads with 45+ speed limits. Please just use common sense as far as safety is concerned and don't always rely on written laws for protection.
I respect riders rights and live on a triathalon route and enjoy watching all the brightly colored and equipped riders in the race or practicing for it, I have even stood by the road with water bottles for any that wanted it on hot summer rides, I always give the 3 feet even though I am breaking driving laws by crossing centerlines to get the 3 feet clearance.

Back
Top Bottom