• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any Dutch oven aficiandos?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
I've never used one. Last weekend on a campout a guy cooked up a chicken dish (no idea what it was). Anyway, I was stunned at the ease of cooking. It was pretty cold out and he did it with the oven resting on 4 charcoal briquets and I think about 7 on top. Changed them ONE time, that was it. Food was absolutely delicious (yes, I get that's as much about the recipe as anything) but again I was most impressed with just the ease of it. I guess I never really paid much attention before. I think I'll hit up the Lodge store next time I'm up there.

If you use one, what's your favorite recipe? If you've tried one and don't use it anymore, why not?

*edit*
All right, I bought one of these. https://www.lodgemfg.com/camp-ovens-and-grills/10-inch-4-quart-camp-dutch-oven.asp
I didn't do my homework so apparently that isn't the right size for most recipes. :mmph:
I want to give it an inaugural cooking for dinner, perhaps today. Let me hear some recommendations.

Last edited:
Cakes are great in a dutch oven.
If you get one make sure it has the lid that has a lip on the top so you can put coals on top.
Season it well and it will last a lifetime.

Use them when camping, have made everything from chicken and potatoes to a really deep dish pizza and even a few desserts, peach cobbler, brownies and an apple crisp. Trick is to use the correct amount of coals for the desired temperature. There are a few charts out on line here is one :

http://www.dutchovendude.com/campfire-cooking.shtml

I just started using one this year. Love it! All kinds of recipes online and in forums.

One of my favorite camping breakfasts is the mountain man recipe. One pot wonder.

Take a ride to the Lodge factory store in South Pittsburg, Tn. just west of Chattanooga on I-24.

Great store with a seconds bin, every conceivable cast iron cookware gadget factory tours ( haven't tried that yet). It is a nice little day trip.

We even switched back to cast iron cookware in the house for daily use.

We used to make lots of stuff in them when I was a Boy Scout (years ago). Biscuits, Monkey bread, amazing peach cobbler...

Academy Sporting goods sells iron cookware. I just looked and they have a 5 piece set for $40.00 (same price as Dutch Oven alone).
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/out...ookware-set/pid-27887?color=Black&N=395477678

EDIT: Do Not buy this MADE IN CHINA Crap unless you are OK with something that causes cancer or birth defects in your cookware...

Important Product and Safety Information
- Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom