• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any Dutch oven aficiandos?

We use the dutch ovens when camping. We make everything from biscuits at breakfast to roasts at night. Chocolate cakes and peach cobbler in the evening is fantastic. The fact that you can actually bake something is pretty cool.
Good page of recipes I recall is Bryon or Byrons dutch oven recipes. Look it up he had a great list.
Remember the ones for cooking outside has legs on the bottom and a lip on top. The ones without the legs are for the stove top.
All I have is the lodge brand and they were all pre-seasoned, I gave up on trying to preseason my own. It sounds easy, but they never came out quite right.
Many times we've stacked them. We have a roast in the 12" on the bottom, potatoes of one kind or another in the 10" on top of that and an 8" with dessert on the very top.

It feels really cool, it's so old school and it's pretty much fuss free. One thing I will recommend is one of those things you can put coals in to get them started with just paper. Quite often on a long recipe like a roast you need a 2nd bunch ready to go when you need them. It lets you get another batch started earlier.

It's a blast, we like it a lot.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Lodge is the best. I have a couple Dutch ovens for camping, plus my skillet. Also have an enamel covered cast iron Lodge Dutch oven for home stovetop cooking. Jambalaya from it is the best. Does a fine job for large batches of chili and sausage gravy as well.

Back
Top Bottom