• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any Dutch oven aficiandos?

We used to make lots of stuff in them when I was a Boy Scout (years ago). Biscuits, Monkey bread, amazing peach cobbler...

Academy Sporting goods sells iron cookware. I just looked and they have a 5 piece set for $40.00 (same price as Dutch Oven alone).
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/out...ookware-set/pid-27887?color=Black&N=395477678
That is a good price for what you get, but for something like that, I think I'd pay the extra for made in America. Lodge really does make nice stuff. The Lodge outlet in Commerce (I'm in Commerce pretty regularly) has a 'seconds' section that I've picked up a couple of pans from and for the life of me I can't figure out why they were in the seconds stack but was more than happy to pay the greatly reduced price. :) The regular price for the Lodge cookware in Walmart is LESS than the 'Factory Outlet' but their seconds were a good bit less expensive.
I've got a fire pit in the backyard that I'd use it on when not camping.
Some of these recipes you guys are mentioning might have me picking up an oven this week... :cool:

Pineapple upside down cake is great in one of these. You can look up the number of coals required on top and bottom to get got to the desired temperature.

That is a good price for what you get, but for something like that, I think I'd pay the extra for made in America. Lodge really does make nice stuff. The Lodge outlet in Commerce (I'm in Commerce pretty regularly) has a 'seconds' section that I've picked up a couple of pans from and for the life of me I can't figure out why they were in the seconds stack but was more than happy to pay the greatly reduced price. :) The regular price for the Lodge cookware in Walmart is LESS than the 'Factory Outlet' but their seconds were a good bit less expensive.
I've got a fire pit in the backyard that I'd use it on when not camping.
Some of these recipes you guys are mentioning might have me picking up an oven this week... :cool:

When you said Lodge is Made in America - I thought "Yeah that Academy crap is probably made in China".

I just looked and sure enough - MADE IN CHINA. It also says: Important Product and Safety Information

- Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

SO I am guessing they put LEAD in their cookware - REALLY!?!?!?!

I have one. Well we got the big lodge cast iron kit for a wedding present since I made her put it on the registry. I've ate off cast iron my whole life. I got several Griswold pans an flats for free a while back. Can't beat them.

When you said Lodge is Made in America - I thought "Yeah that Academy crap is probably made in China".

I just looked and sure enough - MADE IN CHINA. It also says: Important Product and Safety Information

- Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

SO I am guessing they put LEAD in their cookware - REALLY!?!?!?!
Hard to say, it's a LONG list... http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/P65single060614.pdf

With some silver stuff we got haha.
uploadfromtaptalk1419129440944.jpg

My wife tries to dutch oven me but doesn't realize its completely ineffective unless she farts directly into the intake of my cpap machine. :doh:

used them all the time in scouts now always take one camping and have used it for more or less any type of recipe you can think of

Back
Top Bottom