• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ANY IDEAS ON WHAT’S CAUSING THIS

I know how it is to question every mark on a case when you load .... i do the same!
Yeah, you're right about that! Like I said I normally shoot steel case & just have never looked at the fired cases. I even went back in my book to make sure I hadn't done something stupid.
All I can say is whew!!

I think it's a gas problem, how hard would you have to hit the shell deflector to do that? I think it's happening when the round is being fed. It takes a pretty good lick to make that mark, and a fairly sharp edge according to my very scientific bourbon fueled test that I just conducted.

you can try a heavier buffer. I get the same thing with hotter handloads from a couple of my ARs. almost never w/my LWRC piston gun...it has a heavier buffer. Agree on hitting the deflector hard. how far does the rifle spit brass? and at what angle?

What would cause that and what, if anything can I do to prevent it?

Its all about the brass, 'bout the brass, 'bout the brass, baby... gas and buffer system adjustments, as well as extractor, ejector, and springs provide the means to adjust the force and angle of ejection. Adjusting the speed of the carrier group, in my opinion, is the easiest, while changes to the extractor, ejector, and springs are more tricky and require more serious "smithing".

For your pictured dents, my guess is that the ejected case is hitting the rear edge of the ejection port. Look at the video closely that @MRM provided. You can see that the ejected brass is not far off the perpendicular at as it leaves, circled in red below, possibly striking the sharp edge of the port window before the brass then strikes the angled shell deflector (which is there for that very reason... to throw/deflect the hot brass away from you and/or close bystanders).

upload_2019-3-6_7-49-40.png

Can you see brass marks on your shell deflector? If not, that again could confirm that the spent brass is hitting the ejection port edge, and not the shell deflector (as designed).

Increasing the buffer weight is often one of the cheapest and easiest fixes. I keep several buffers in different weights, especially for new builds, so I can slightly adjust the "throw" of my spent brass. A heavier buffer will slow down the bolt/bolt carrier motion, thus providing more time for ejection, allowing the spent brass to move toward the angled shell deflector, which should not dent the case like the sharp port edge strike often does. This will result in a change to the ejection/throw angle and, by trying several different weights, you may be able to fine tune to your preferred brass ejection angle (my preference is 2 to 4 o'clock).

Again, a heavier buffer will most likely help, while also reducing felt recoil. Other relatively simple options are changing to an adjustable gas block or swapping complete buffer systems, but the buffer swap is the simplest and easiest (again, in my opinion).

Whenever I run into something like this, I try to eliminate the possible causes.

For the shell deflector, I would put a piece of thick tape over it to soften the blow of the shell hitting it. If it was still getting dented I would move on to the mag.

For the mag, I would just drop a single round into the chamber, with no mag in the rifle. Fire it and look for the dent. This will eliminate it as a cause.

Back
Top Bottom