Any of y'all ever get great advice from your dad?

Interesting reads here about dads...and sons. Sadly, father wounds cut the deepest and we all have them in some degree or another.
Also sad the the truth is “wounded people wound others”…which, in this arena, means that we tend to hurt our sons like our father hurt us. We pass down generational curses.
If you would like to break that cycle I highly recommend the below:

My dad worked hard, sometimes 2 jobs. My 10 year older sister was his favorite so he ignored me all my life. I built a house with an inlaw suite and moved my parents in and they lived there the last 9 years of their lives. My dad complained the entire time. I did not miss him when he passed but I always thought I did the right thing. Mom passed in 2004 and I still miss her every day.

My dad worked hard, sometimes 2 jobs. My 10 year older sister was his favorite so he ignored me all my life. I built a house with an inlaw suite and moved my parents in and they lived there the last 9 years of their lives. My dad complained the entire time. I did not miss him when he passed but I always thought I did the right thing. Mom passed in 2004 and I still miss her every day.
Sounds familiar. My dad should have been a democrat. Complains all the time. Negative. Regarding companies he loudly proclaims, "It's all about the almighty dollah!" I usually reply, "It damned well better be, I'm a shareholder!"

My dad died last year at 80. Cancer got him so fast he hardly knew what happened. A deeply religious man, kind and gentle, smart (aeronautical engineer) and generous of his time, he was an awesome dad. I miss him so much. I can barely type right now I'm crying so hard. I miss you dad.

I honestly did not know what reaction emoji to use here. I'm sad for your loss, I like what you wrote and I love the love you have for your father. I feel the same about mine and could not have said it any better.

My father advised me to adopt my stepdaughter which I was considering and did. She's been a very faithful daughter all these many years. And later when I was considering changing jobs for more money, he talked me out of it as the job I had offered a lifetime pension. I'm glad I took his advice and stayed with my employer as that pension is of a great benefit now in retirement. Btw, my father is still living- he's in his 90s now and I enjoy speaking with him even though there is some dementia.

My father worked in the corporate world as a mechanical engineer and he traveled a lot. But when he was home, he intentionally spent time with his four kids back in the 1960s and 70s. He made sure that we had what he didn't have growing up during the depression years and during WWII. And he focused spending time with us as his father (career military) was usually in training and later during the war, in the island campaigns fighting in the Pacific.

Sounds like you did. And that's all you can do...Now go enjoy your life, you earned it

Back
Top Bottom