• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any of you gear heads ever build a......

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Dump trailer?

im posting it here because most gear heads I know like to fab and weld.
im looking for the best set up to turn an old camper trailer into a dump trailer.
ill probably haul no more than 2 tons of gravel at a time but Ill probably use a quality 3 ton ram.
need ideas.

If you like to fab and weld, have a sturdy trailer frame, an old pickup bed, and then an ram/actuator to lift do it. Lots of pictures and videos out there to help. I always try to see if I can build something first.
I have seen some truck bed frame trailers turned into dump beds fairly inexpensively. Probably won't hold 2 tons though.

For a gravel and dirt trailer, I like the conveyer belt in the bed and a crank or motor driven unload system.

There is no camper trailer frame that’s strong enough to make a dump trailer
Unless maybe you use a large double axle camper frame that’s really old , from the early 60s maybe

I have a 4x8 utility trailer made from an old camper that’s very sturdy

I was trying to find a spare tire
It has a weird 4 bolt lug that’s on a 9 inch diameter circle
Got the name off the axle and looked it up and the company that made the axle was still in business
They had no clue what I was talking about and after I emailed them a photo they called back a few days later and said they stopped making that axle In 1959

A 3/4 or 1 ton pickup frame might work

But when you do the math, you’re gonna spend almost as much in material and time as just buying one for $3500
And now it’s a real pain to get a tag for a home made trailer

What vehicle are you going to pull it with ?

Company I used to work for bought a couple of 6x10 dump trailers made by Carry On
Came from a trailer dealer in Hartwell
GA , they had the best prices in the state

They were very sturdy and about $3500
Held 3 cubic yards which if full is more weight than most 1/2 ton pickups can Safely pull and stop

a548320707d7be44cddbba8255ba55c7.jpg

I was trying to find a spare tire
It has a weird 4 bolt lug that’s on a 9 inch diameter circle
Got the name off the axle and looked it up and the company that made the axle was still in business
They had no clue what I was talking about and after I emailed them a photo they called back a few days later and said they stopped making that axle In 1959
You have an axle like this one then. This is still attached to my 1971 Kayot camper. So, to say the least these wheels were made through 1971.

Attachments

• 20190413_093409.jpg
    20190413_093409.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom