• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

any older and or seasoned CWP folks, or LEOs please help me out!

gh00747

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
30   1
Reaction score
Hello ODT, and merry early christmas!
Alright, first and foremost I turn 22 next year, have had my CWP since this summer...Tonight I got pulled over by a Cobb county sheriff; went over the usual stuff etc, handed him my drivers license insurance and registration and my CWP permit, he asked me questions and then finally got to my permit and asked if I had a firearm on my person. I said yessir, and he asked me to hand it to him. HERE is where I am looking for some information and or help from anyone who has experienced being pulled over while carrying or is a LEO. First and foremost, I have learned the proper way to handle my firearm always treat it as if it were loaded, and safetyy check every firearm that is handed to you. This being my first time experencing this situation I was dead in the water...I deholstered my firearm and in that split second I was contemplating, do I safety check it? this all happened in a split second window and I am thinking to myself very quickly for all this officer knows if I safety check it he may think I am actually chambering a round? I never keep one in the chamber, but I think this is besides the fact always treat it as if it were loaded. I then handed the officer my firearm and he went back to his patrol car to do whatever officers do. Did I handle the situation correctly? I was trying to think in both the ways of being safe for myself, but may have been over contemplating what the officers reaction would be...If it makes any difference I drive a lifted vehicle and the top of his head came to the bottom of my side mirror...ANY help please???
Thanks,
a fellow ODT supporter

That is what I figured, but I guess you never think about what to do in a situation until after it happens :( he returned my firearm to me slide locked back and mag out....I guess thats what I should have done

Dont touch poop... hand him the weapon and tell him if there is a round in the chamber or not, if he ask's for it... I keep mine in a glove box away form my insurance and registration paperwork. I dont want to touch my weapon if I have to deal w/ a LEO.

Years ago I pulled a guy over... As I exit my patrol car, he sits a Glock 30 out the window on top of the car.

I admit my language in those days was a bit more unrefined and I walked up and asked him why the **** he would do that. He said "so I didn't have to hand it to you".

Seriously?! Georgia is not a mandatory disclosure state. You are only required to present your DRIVERS license on a traffic stop, proof of insurance is even optional now with the information on your tag info.

You see this is where I was thinking in the position of the LEO, I know I didnt have to furnish my permit, but for all I know when he got to his computer it could have come up that I was registered CWP

First of all, I am not even gonna let them know there is a weapon on me or in the car unless they ask. I sure ain't giving him my GWL unless he asks. I have been through a few traffic stops in my day, and I have never been asked about a weapon in the car, or if I had a GWL for a traffic stop. I have been through probably a 100 or more license checks and never asked about weapons or GWL. If they ain't asking, I ain't telling.

Back
Top Bottom