• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

any older and or seasoned CWP folks, or LEOs please help me out!

Why would you unholster a loaded weapon from a secure holster is my first question? There is no reason to consent to an unnecessary search and hand your personal property to another person. I guess for the future I would recomend that you politely comply with any orders given, and also politely decline any searches of your person or vehicle.

I'm with everyone else on this. Why did you show your GWL? It's not necessary to show that during a routine traffic stop and honestly to me it invites more problems because now he knows you're probably carrying a gun. While plenty of LEOs know our rights there are some that honestly don't know. I would think it's just asking for trouble if you volunteer that kind of information because now he has to treat you as a possible threat. Maybe I'm just paranoid but unless the officer asks me I wont be bringing it up. Being that he took it back to his car, and removed the mag while returning it with the slide locked back you were pretty much disarmed which is not something that should have happened to you. In the future I wouldn't even bring it up unless you're directly asked about it. In my opinion if you "safety checked" a gun in front of me and I was a police officer I wouldn't really know if you were attempting to chamber a round to fire at me or not and if I were a trigger happy or nervous officer I might see it as an immediate threat to my life. Just something to think about.

I unholstered it because he asked that I do so, not sure if i mentioned that
Well sure he did. After you showed him a GWL and told him you had a weapon. I would have asked also in his position. FWIW, to me, a pistol without a round in the chamber is just a metal rock to throw at someone. If I have it on me, it has one in the pipe. Period.

You see this is where I was thinking in the position of the LEO, I know I didnt have to furnish my permit, but for all I know when he got to his computer it could have come up that I was registered CWP

Even then, it's called the 4th Amendment. It's also outside the scope of his stop. Did he stop you because you firearm was improperly buckled in? Not being a jerk about it, but I am when I get pulled over. There are rules, and God bless you for not flexing the rules on the side of the road, but he over stepped.

I would have, and recently have responded firmly when i had had a young LEO ask if I had a gun in the vehicle. Maybe the NRA, Palmetto State Armory, Gerogia carry.org, Fraziers Tactical and G44L might have been his FBI clue to ask. I looked him in the eyes and asked if his question had anything to do with my headlight being out, which reminds me it still is. Oops. It was a bit of a pissing contest, but after quoting a few case laws, and 42USC 1983, we stroked my warning and happily bid me a nice evening.

I will say not to take this personal as criisizm, I respect LEO all day long and have many close friends that are. Honest citizens like yourself are the ones that will be hit hard with minor violations like this because you choose to comply and spill the beans on an unknown investigation. Once again i recommend not saying anything.

Back
Top Bottom