• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any other Ham Radio guys on here?

Annon5709871235

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
41   0
Reaction score
WB4RPL. I havn't been on the air on the Ham freq lately, not to much going on in ATL that I can tell. Mainly stick with the Kenwood nextedge system. More of a mobile guy here. Just wondering if any one else here is into ham as well

good to meet ya! My best friend and my uncle are hams as well. We tried Dstar but were not very happy with it. Moved to the next edge system. I got on the 145.45 machine last night and didn't hear much traffic, just the repeater calling the call signs.

I'm a ham. Tech only 2m/70cm. mostly only 2m.

It gets really boring because all anyone ever talks about is their rig/antenna and the radio.

here is 50% of the atlanta repeater talk:
1: km4XXX mobile
2:w4XX hey name here is bob
1: Hi bob this is dan. You're coming in just a little bit staticky. what kind of antenna are you using
2: Oh i'm working with a baofeng on 2 watts in kennesaw with a 14" whip. let me see if maybe getting out of the recliner will help
1: oh and put the microphone closer to your mouth

here is the other 48%:
1: hows the weather out there
2: oh pretty crazy. how about you
1: yeah us too.

the repeaters are often silent. wait until you hear thunder, crank up the radio, and all the repeaters are lit up with antenna/wx questions.

in fact this are the phrases i hear most:

what kind of antenna are you using?
what kind of radio are you using?
are you on high power?
put the microphone closer to your mouth.
see if you can get a little more elevation.
speak up a little bit.
hows the weather over there.

LOL thoose were the exact reasons we went to the private Nextedge system! Full coverage from Chattanooga to Macon, and Madison to douglasville. We purchased the units that would do 70CM ham band, so we had radioone program in the local 70cm machines, and we can still simplex, its all digital and kicks dstars ass. I still keep my TMV71A in the F350 for weather service and access to 2m machines. But in the interceptor is just the NXDN-800

LOL thoose were the exact reasons we went to the private Nextedge system! Full coverage from Chattanooga to Macon, and Madison to douglasville. We purchased the units that would do 70CM ham band, so we had radioone program in the local 70cm machines, and we can still simplex, its all digital and kicks dstars ass. I still keep my TMV71A in the F350 for weather service and access to 2m machines. But in the interceptor is just the NXDN-800

so what does that do? could I run a private talk group? whats the point?

so what does that do? could I run a private talk group? whats the point?
The point is its encrypted, no one with a scanner can listen in, its digital and network enabled. I can talk to a individual user, not the entire net. I can call individual users for private messages. Down side is the radios list for about $850 each, and the service cost $15 a month per radio, well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom