• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any other Ham Radio guys on here?

If the new wave of ham radio operators had been forced to spend more time behind a HF rig in order to pass an entry-level license exam, I suspect they would have a greater respect for HF , rather than casting aside 10-11 meters as worthless and irrelevant for terrestrial communications :lol:
I hate when people force things on other people. Or when they say "if only we could force them to..."

Ham licenses are BS and forcing people to do things is unamerican.

I hate when people force things on other people. Or when they say "if only we could force them to..."

Ham licenses are BS and forcing people to do things is unamerican.
I have always had a issue with how the fcc has the best interest for big broadcast corps. The airwaves are considered "public" but they are the most unpublic in the world. If I want to run a fm radio station on low power I should be able to do so without being fined by the fcc. I know their are dangers with radio equipment but most of us arnt setting up giant towers in our back yards and running 100kw. The way the laws are wrote today my .05watt fm transmitter is considered illegal, it barely covers 1 acre lol.

Bahahaha! EXACTLY!

If you want to know where all the bears are on the interstate, get a CB.

If you want to hear all about some old bastards medical problems, get into Ham.
That is so true about cb. But ever since I bought my new car, speed traps just don't seem to be a issue
[Broken External Image]:

I got my ticket a few months ago. KM4KRG.

I have always had a issue with how the fcc has the best interest for big broadcast corps. The airwaves are considered "public" but they are the most unpublic in the world. If I want to run a fm radio station on low power I should be able to do so without being fined by the fcc. I know their are dangers with radio equipment but most of us arnt setting up giant towers in our back yards and running 100kw. The way the laws are wrote today my .05watt fm transmitter is considered illegal, it barely covers 1 acre lol.

Yeah, we should also be able to drive whatever we feel like speed wise right? I should be able to fly anything I like as well huh? I should.... get the picture? All of these things, while seemingly aren't a big deal, can impact others in worst cases.

Any place you can communicate on 10 meters, you can communicate on 11 meters (CB), to Europe and Asia, especially during peak sunspot activity, such as now.

2 meters is line of sight without the use of elevated repeater antenna's or internet integration.

True, 2m is limited. But I've made contacts beyond line of sight with 40w and a super j pole antenna I made.
11392999_973590592663127_2251722255547578939_n.jpg

I like 40 meters and PSK31. I usually work QRP with a Yaesu 817. I do have a full power rig and a Henry 2KD amp that I seldom use as it is more fun to make a qso on 5 watts than 1,500.
KE4HSV

I'm still just a tech, but studying for my general to open up the bands. I've been doing a lot of JT65 on 6 and 10m. I've been using at most 20w. And that was to make a qso on 10m to southern Argentina. (JT65 is awesome IMO)

Ham was a promise of lots of fun, and a big let down.

At least for me.

If I wanted to talk to retired guys, I would just go to the vfw.

I can understand where you're coming from. I was getting on weekly nets for a bit, but found it boring. I stick to just a local one I'm a member of now. (Actually had dinner tonight with the club) I'm honestly not keen on voice (phone) conversations. But the digital stuff is pretty fun to me.

Oh I have a bit of hardware now for things. I have a FT-450D to cover HF/50mhz. Then a mobile for 2m/70cm. Then I have 3 more mobiles (commercial units) I've converted to cover 2m, 70cm, and 6m FM. I bounce around on the 2m repeaters (I've been able to key up 23 of them from my house) if you want to catch me. Otherwise I can be found on 6 and 10m doing JT65.

Some things I'm interested in, I want to catch the space station eventually. (Was trying, but gave up for a bit) Then get into satellite and moonbouncing. That kinda seems neat to me.

Back
Top Bottom