• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any other Ham Radio guys on here?

I prefer CB over ham.
CB radios are completely worthless in my book. I keep one in the truck for when we are on long trips but most of the time the background noise cuts down on any ones transmission. Even if you run a juiced up Galaxy 959 like i do if your heard the chances of the receiving party having 150-200 watts to come back is highly unlikely. On a good day a 2 meter rig can go for 10-15 miles on low wattage. Find a repeater and you can talk virtually any where.

Any place you can communicate on 10 meters, you can communicate on 11 meters (CB), to Europe and Asia, especially during peak sunspot activity, such as now.

2 meters is line of sight without the use of elevated repeater antenna's or internet integration.
I'm well aware of CB being 11 meters and the effect of skip. However skip does no good for local regional communication, nor does the 11 meter band (if you want to call it that) serve any purpose in todays world be it aside from a "preppers" dooms day radio, or some red neck moron trying to be all cool with a 20 foot whip on a ford ranger.

The point is its encrypted, no one with a scanner can listen in, its digital and network enabled. I can talk to a individual user, not the entire net. I can call individual users for private messages. Down side is the radios list for about $850 each, and the service cost $15 a month per radio, well worth it.

thats pretty awesome . can you link some info on it? I dont know anything about it or even what to google to find it.

Thanks.

Been a ham since high school (1963) I cant recall my Novice call but have upgraded over the years. Most active of HF bands, I have a couple 2m & 440 rigs buts seldom get on too much like CB these days......(TIC)

thats pretty awesome . can you link some info on it? I dont know anything about it or even what to google to find it.

Thanks.
The company who provides it here in GA is called Radio one. The service is fleet talk. There are also some public nextedge systems run by hams in the metro area. Its all based on Motorola's P25 technology. Heres a link to my youtube page which i think has a few videos about the nextedge setup. I need to do some new videos for my mobile setups as they have changed drastically lately

fleet talk
http://georgiafleettalk.com/

I like 40 meters and PSK31. I usually work QRP with a Yaesu 817. I do have a full power rig and a Henry 2KD amp that I seldom use as it is more fun to make a qso on 5 watts than 1,500.
KE4HSV

Back
Top Bottom