• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody here have experience selling trees to a timber harvester?

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Got an unsolicited letter from a timber company, asking to come walk our land and give us some options and pricing on harvesting timber. Had the guy out here today. Seemed nice enough, and certainly knowledgable about taking timber off land such as ours. Some of his comments gave me pause. For example, he was clearly intent on convincing me that market prices for timber these days are very low, for any number of reasons. Having recently built a house, I know retail lumber prices are fairly high, historically speaking, so his pricing comments didn't seem reasonable.

I have no experience in these types of transactions. Wondering if any of my ODT brethren have had tress harvested from their land, and what the process was like. Would appreciate any feedback.

To be honest lumber prices are pretty reasonable right now. I just glanced at Home Depot and 7/16 OSB is only $8.45 and 2x4-96 is $2.95. The lowest I've seen OSB was 2005 for around $5.25 and the highest was around 2010 for $13.00. The 2x4 price is above average but still not as high as it has been.

I haven't done it, but I have heard on other forums about them leaving the property a mess. Seems like they don't want to give you a lot either unless you have super old good hardwoods that is not pine. Good luck

To be honest lumber prices are pretty reasonable right now. I just glanced at Home Depot and 7/16 OSB is only $8.45 and 2x4-96 is $2.95. The lowest I've seen OSB was 2005 for around $5.25 and the highest was around 2010 for $13.00. The 2x4 price is above average but still not as high as it has been.

Cliff, I think maybe you looked at a half sheet of OSB. OSB is about $15 for a full 4x8.

In 2018, lumber was insanely high because of the tarriffs Trump was slapping on the Canucks. It's softened since then, but wood commodity prices are still near their historical all time highs (with the 2018 spike exception).

Iv been involved in cutting family owned timber tracts for about 30 years, that being said i would advise you to get at least 3 different outfits to price your tract of land, and yes the prices right now are a little lower than the last time we sold which was about 3 years ago

It’s all based on the price the mills are paying for pulpwood. Research highs and lows for the last couple of years. Prices vary based on availability.

if you need more, shoot me a pm

Back
Top Bottom