• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody hooch fishing

So in GA the EPD gives 4 different guidelines,
1) No restrictions
2) 1 meal per week
3) 1 meal per month
4) Do not eat

Lets just say the fish / body of water is in Catagory #3 One meal per month. If you eat one meal per month 12 months out of the year. For the next 35 years. You would have no statistically higher risk of cancer. (Unless you are eating it off of a Dupont Teflon Pan from the 90's)

I am not trying to argue or change anyones mind. I definitely won't eat those big stripers or catfish. But I have eaten 100 pound wahoo that you could damn near see the mercury dripping off of.

If you eat fish, even store-bought fish you should at least read thru the guidelines. It is a pretty interesting read.

I was mainly quoting saltwater fish for mercury content. I heard about Pacific salmon and tuna. There is a old man that eats the fish out of the James here. He just puts them into a spring fed holding pond for a couple of weeks and he swears the fish taste better after that. As aid he has been eating them for over 50 years that way.

I was saying about one of the river up in Blue Ridge. He said it was nasty. I kindly reminding him of the flash floods that basically exchange the the water once a month. The EPA has been cracking down on creek and river contamination. They have restricted home building close to Places like Fighting Town creek and the like. During construction all the silt and debris was just cascading into the trout fisheries. So the state and other key players are cracked down and have been for years. I don't know all the governing bodies that are in action but I read a lot about it when I was trout fishing in North Georgia.

Was there a couple weeks ago. Going back in June. SGI next month and again in September. Blue lines again this weekend. Thank you for cleaning up as well.
I keep my big boat down near St. George island. Just up the river at Bay City Lodge, Apalachicola. I try get down there once a month or so. But the weather has been very windy for offshore fishing the last couple of months.
About a year and a half ago I bought my Venice, Tuna captains old boat. It's a Glacier bay 260, it's a smooth riding fishing machine. It just got too slow for fishing in Venice now. Now everyone is running triples or quads... Venice in 2005 Half the fleet were running glacier bays, they were the bee's knees.

How about hooch fishing north of the dam/lake? I kayak a lot from mossy creek to Lula bridge. The river is clean and clear as long as it hasn't rained in a while. Any tips? I've been throwing a white spinner bait without much success... Pic is one of my spots. Do I cast into the shoals? Reel against the current or with? Im a decent fisherman, but haven't finished in current much and I want more knowledge and fishing success. I've only seen some gar stacked up behind a rock waiting to ambush... Where are the trout and bass up here? I have caught brown, rainbow and bass south of the dam no prob.

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_131855667_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220424_131855667_HDR.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 17
How about hooch fishing north of the dam/lake? I kayak a lot from mossy creek to Lula bridge. The river is clean and clear as long as it hasn't rained in a while. Any tips? I've been throwing a white spinner bait without much success... Pic is one of my spots. Do I cast into the shoals? Reel against the current or with? Im a decent fisherman, but haven't finished in current much and I want more knowledge and fishing success. I've only seen some gar stacked up behind a rock waiting to ambush... Where are the trout and bass up here? I have caught brown, rainbow and bass south of the dam no prob.
Hey I have not fished up there much, but I will help you as much as I can. This thread has got me thinking and I am going to write a little about how to approach rivers, and current in general, I know everyone can't afford a guide trip. Give me a little time. I am headed to the river with my son. Feel free to give me a call. If you catch me at the right time, I will talk your ear off about fishing... It is my passion, my love and my life. I am a fisherman first, trying to make it a successful business.

M.R. River Fishing
Matthew Robinson
www.gariverfishing.com
770-616-3865
www.instagram.com/captainmattrobinson/

Food comes with the current. Trout wait for it in the calmer water on the edge. Easier to wait for it to come by and snatch it than fight the current waiting for it. Fish your spinners with the current in seams, eddy edges and bubble lines. Small plunge pools will hold fish right in the middle.

Sorry Brother, I had to go shoot pool in my 9-ball league.

From Buford down to Roswell Road, Hwy 9, it is primarily trout; stocker rainbows, and natural born browns. I have caught a hand full of spotted bass and a few yellow perch. There are some huge brown trout up to15-20 pounds. But you are only going to get a shot at one every blue moon. They have seen a ton of lures in their lifetime. They are mainly eating other trout. I am always amazed how little life there is up there, besides the trout. The otters and the whole ecosystem up there is based around those stocked trout.

In Bull Sluice, the bass fishing can be alright. But that place had gotten so silted in the last 15 years. Most of the "Lake" is just a very shallow sand flat. The bream, carp, gar, and catfish are there as well. But there are so many other places that are better to catch those species...
i had no idea how deep sluce is/was. blew my mind.
well if what i read was true.

Hey I have not fished up there much, but I will help you as much as I can. This thread has got me thinking and I am going to write a little about how to approach rivers, and current in general, I know everyone can't afford a guide trip. Give me a little time. I am headed to the river with my son. Feel free to give me a call. If you catch me at the right time, I will talk your ear off about fishing... It is my passion, my love and my life. I am a fisherman first, trying to make it a successful business.

M.R. River Fishing
Matthew Robinson
www.gariverfishing.com
770-616-3865
www.instagram.com/captainmattrobinson/
fisherman first. amen to that and good luck with the business. its a hard business to be in.

Back
Top Bottom