• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone dealt with a moving company?

Well my mom is officially back in Georgia. Pretty much everything the company promised was a lie. The price was 1.5 times the original. The 3-5 days turned into 7 then to 10. The pick up time was 4 hours later. The drop off date was a Monday or Tuesday and turned until Thursday. The drop off went from 10am to 4. It took them less than an hour for 3 men to unload and the driver was super rude and threw the paperwork in front of her and was trying to move it before she could finish signing. I decided it was best I just thank them and send them in their way. I didn’t want to spend Christmas in jail and figured the fines would only increase the cost of the move. I plan to reach out to New Leaf and just make sure they are aware but I doubt they will be of any help. The customer service rep assured me he was “handling this personally” and would get back to me in 48-72 hours and that 13 days ago.

Lesson learned
I use Pro Move. They are based in Ga and Florida but go everywhere. Never had one minutes issue with them. Fair and on time.

My 80 year old mother is moving back from NC to GA. We hired a moving company to pack her things and get her here. The initial guy made an estimate and when he called to talk to me assured me that he quotes high so there are no surprises. I asked him about the estimate and told him that there was a sofa and loveseat listed that would not be included but there would be a few more boxes. The guy assured me that they would adjust and it should wash if the boxes didn't exceed the weight and space of the furniture listed. The original quote was $3193. We had to make a deposit then 1/2 the balance at load and 1/2 the balance at unload. The deposit was $1337, they charged her $1775 at pick up and its going to be $1878 when they drop off. I've tried to call the company and their rep said they would request the paperwork from the actual mover but that may take 48-72 hours. The company we called is actually a broker. When I googled the actual mover it seems to be standard operating procedures. They get to the destination and you pay or they threaten to leave with your stuff. Is this normal? I feel like the fact they were dealing with an elderly lady they may have taken advantage of her vulnerability.
Pay before unload is standard practice, it is also standard to not park on the customer’s property until paid. How do I know this? I worked for the below quoted moving company for 7yr when I was younger.

The reason for both: The motor carriers contract, in layman’s terms, states if you contract the motor carrier you are using your belongings as collateral in lieu of payment until it arrives to the destination.
If you park on the property and the customer refuses to pay, you are not allowed to legally leave the property with their belongings ie: your truck... It’s happened to me before multiple times.

NEVER, EVER, contract a moving company that wants to charge by weight if you are moving out of state, it’s extremely easy to cheat that. Only go by cubic ft, you can physically measure that at the pickup and drop off.

I used this company a few years ago (for a local move) and had a good experience.

I worked for them for 7yrs!

I worked at 8 other moving companies prior to Maya, I witnessed all the others swindle, lie and cheat.

Maya was, and still is, the only moving company I’d trust, Leo is a wonderful man, very based and honest.

99.9% of moving companies are nothing but scum.
Please do not use any household moving company , they will all try to rip you off once they get your stuff on their truck .

Use PODs or Old Dominion Freight Lines

ODFL drops off a 20 foot trailer at your house and you load it , lock and seal the door and they come pick it up and deliver it and the seal will still be intact.

And throw a GPS tracker with a big battery in with your stuff so you can see where it is at all times .

For the labor , just hire some high school or college boys to help with the heavy stuff .

I used to hire some guys from the Georgia tech weightlifting team to help me move heavy items .

Back
Top Bottom