• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone got a good recipe for buttermilk biscuits?

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
I'm tired of using canned biscuits all the time and would prefer to learn to make my own. My grandmother used to make biscuits with nearly every meal, and they were delicious. However, she never wrote down her recipe and her memory is pretty bad now so I can't go ask her how she made hers and no one else in my family can make good biscuits.

I'm not 100% sure my grandmother used buttermilk, but I think she may have used lard, unless she was just greasing the pan with it, I probably should have paid more attention when she made them. I did manage to get her homemade buttermilk pancake recipe though.

Use White Lily self rising flour and shortening (Crisco). Cut the shortening into the flour with a dinner fork. 2 cups flour and about 1/4 cup shortening. After mixing that, add whole milk until you get a dough (or more fluid for drop biscuits). Pat them out by hand.

View attachment 1148112 Not homemade, but much better than canned.

I don't understand why people feel the need to suggest something other than what was asked for.

View attachment 1148113^^^^ "pat them out by hand", Are you kidding me?

No, he's not kidding. My grandmother always made them that way. Not to mention it would take more time and unnecessary effort to use a rolling pin.

View attachment 1148114 View attachment 1148115 foodnetwork.com , search: buttermilk biscuits

All of that BS in that ingredient list don't belong in a biscuit. Which is specifically why I asked for recipes here rather than just using google. If you can't contribute anything actually useful, please refrain from posting here.

Use White Lily self rising flour and shortening (Crisco). Cut the shortening into the flour with a dinner fork. 2 cups flour and about 1/4 cup shortening. After mixing that, add whole milk until you get a dough (or more fluid for drop biscuits). Pat them out by hand.

Thank you. That sounds similar to what I can vaguely remember my grandmother doing.

Rolling pins are for pies and Yankees. Never seen a woman in my family use a pin for biscuits, lol.

Exactly!

I use this, it's quick and easy.

Biscuits
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/biscuits-recipe#reviewsTop
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 3/4 cup milk

Directions

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Cut butter into mixture until it begins to look like cornmeal.

Make a well with flour mixture and slowly add milk into the middle. Knead dough with your fingers and add milk when necessary. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness. Cut with small biscuit cutter.

Butter bottom of skillet and place biscuits in pan. Cover and place on top of hot coals in the fireplace. Carefully place some hot coals on top of the skillet cover. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen, 2008

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-24_5-15-17.gif
    upload_2017-4-24_5-15-17.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 14
    42 bytes · Views: 12
    42 bytes · Views: 12
    42 bytes · Views: 11
Been making biscuits since I was in high school - over 30 years ago. I have a big Tupperware bowl that I keep my flour in. I only use white lily self-rising. Sift the flour - just fill the sifter and put the flour right back into the bowl. Using your hand, level the mound of sifted flour, then make a hollowed out cavity in the flour. The cavity should look like a small volcano. Don't allow the cavity to go to the bottom of the bowl or your dough will stick to the bottom of the bowl.

Now, add buttermilk. Since there is no recipe, just estimate how much you need for the number of biscuits you'll make. It won't take as much as you think - maybe a cup or cup and a half.

For oil, I use plain old vegetable oil. I know that's blasphemy but I always have it in the kitchen and it's easy to work with. If you've killed a hog and rendered the lard recently, lard works good too. Add oil to the puddle of buttermilk.

What I do is pour the oil into the milk until it rises to the top of the milk. This is something that'll come with experience. More oil gives a more tender biscuit while less oil makes a tougher biscuit that's good for sopping.

Now it's time for mixing. Start by moving your hand in a small circular motion while rotating the mixing bowl. You should incorporate flour into your milk/oil mix. Continue until the dough stiffens and forms a ball. Knead the dough until it is somewhat firm. Again, learning the feel of the dough will come with practice. Once the dough is like you want it, begin to pinch off pieces for individual biscuits.

Break off the pieces of dough and pat them out. I use a cast iron skillet for my biscuit pan. Cover the skillet with a light coat of oil and place the biscuits on the skillet. I have big hands and can only get 7 on a 9" skillet.

Once the biscuits are in the skillet, pat a little oil on top of them. With my stove, I can put the biscuits in the oven and set it to bake at 475 degrees. When the beeper goes off to let me know it is up to temp, the biscuits are pretty much done. If say 15 minutes or so. Just take them out when they're lightly brown on top.

It takes a lot less time to make biscuits than it took to type this. Now you have an excuse to try your hand at making biscuits.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rolling pins are for pies and Yankees. Never seen a woman in my family use a pin for biscuits, lol.

It's more how you make them than the exact recipe.

Give me a biscuit from someone that knows how to not overwork it.

If they look "perfect" before you cook them, you've screwed them up.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered.....Burger King has a much better biscuit than Hardees. Hardees has better sausage than Burger King. I go to both, swap biscuits and give the Hardees Biscuit with Burger King sausage to Margaret (She's a Yankee so doesn't know better) and keep the Hardees sausage in BK biscuits for myself. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom