• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone got a good recipe for buttermilk biscuits?

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp olive oil
about 2/3 or so cup buttermilk
I never actually measure, I just put in oil and milk till it looks about right...after a few times you will know what I mean.
a slight variance from Grandma, she used lard, I use olive oil because its healthier and easier to work with
Put flour in a large mixing bowl, add salt and baking soda, whisk or stir with fork to spread out the salt and soda, level out the ingredients in the bowl., make the volcano hole previously mentioned put in the oil and buttermilk/or whole milk (your preference) mix well (I use a long handled wooden/plastic spoon...stir it it
briskly until all of the flour in in the mix--no dry flour in bowl.
Put new flour on counter top or mixing tray and spread it out then pour out your mix,sprinkle dry flour on the dough ball and knead it until the dry flour is absorbed by the ball, keep doing this and kneading until you can press down lightly and the dough ball appears to expand back out, it should have a bit of a dry and slightly rubbery texture.
You can either pull off pieces and pat out in your hand or if you want to roll, just get a smooth side drinking glass, rub flour on the outside to keep your dough from sticking, use the glass for a rolling pin ( if you want thick ones press or roll the dough to 1/2 thick... for thinner 1/4 inch) and use the opening as a cutter for nice round biscuits.
oil or grease your pan (I line with foil and grease the foil-makes clean up easier) and place the biscuits on it so they just touch each other...take little buttermilk and spread on the tops with your fingers...
Place in oven at 425-450 and bake 15-20 minutes,,,just peek in a couple times and watch the tops, when they are brown to your satisfaction ..they're ready.

I make my own sausage from fresh ground pork and I take a smaller pan , line with foil (easy clean up) put my sausage patties in the pan and bake in oven with the biscuits come out great ...always leave the sausage in 20-25 minutes.
I take mine out with the biscuits as I like my biscuits golden brown...don't like a pale white biscuit....that's just my way.
Takes about 10 minutes from start to oven 20 minutes from oven to table.
Biscuits come out nice and spongy and taste great.

biz1.jpg
Oven ready
biz2.jpg
14 minutes in
biz3.jpg
20 minutes done @425 degrees

I made home made fresh buttermilk biscuits for years.
It took awhile to get them just right, I knew when that was, because my kids told me mine were better then their Mom's, but they asked me not to tell her that, lol.

Nowadays I buy the frozen biscuits and I'm real happy with them.
They have a much different consistency than the canned biscuits and I can make one, two or a whole pan depending upon need.

I'd give the frozen Hungry Jack buttermilk biscuits a try, unless you're always going to make a whole pan for the family.

The best biscuits will come with lots of practice, practice, practice.

None the biscuit makers in my family ever had a recipe, it was some of this and about that much of this mix it up but don't kneed the dough too much or it'll make them tough.

Hoecake dough is easy to make, because it doesn't have to rise or be flakey when done. We usually make it up before we go camping.

I haven't made biscuits in years. The last time I made some, my new wife had put some PLAIN flour in the cabinet, needless to say those biscuits didn't come out so well.

The best biscuits are made with hog lard.

I made home made fresh buttermilk biscuits for years.
It took awhile to get them just right, I knew when that was, because my kids told me mine were better then their Mom's, but they asked me not to tell her that, lol.

Nowadays I buy the frozen biscuits and I'm real happy with them.
They have a much different consistency than the canned biscuits and I can make one, two or a whole pan depending upon need.

I'd give the frozen Hungry Jack buttermilk biscuits a try, unless you're always going to make a whole pan for the family.

You can also make up several pans and freeze them yourself, and have one or two as you please.
Our maid use to make them and put them i the freezer, then we would put them in freezer bags.
Biscuits for breakfast without all the worry and mess.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered.....Burger King has a much better biscuit than Hardees. Hardees has better sausage than Burger King. I go to both, swap biscuits and give the Hardees Biscuit with Burger King sausage to Margaret (She's a Yankee so doesn't know better) and keep the Hardees sausage in BK biscuits for myself. Lol.
You are quite possibly the most entertaining guy on this site. I love you more every time I read one of your posts. (But....... Hardees does have the best biscuits. Just sayin'.)

Several years ago, I knew someone that had a connection with a manager at Popeyes. I could get a case of 600 biscuits for $30.00. They were partially cooked,and you could toss them in the oven and in just a few minutes you had fresh biscuits. Not nearly as good as homemade, but better than most alternatives.
I guess that's when I got out of the habit of making biscuits.

My wife makes the dang biscuits in the world! One thing she says helps is that she freezes the butter and then shreds it with a cheese grater when she adds it in. I'm not sure what it is supposed to do but dang she makes some awesome biscuits. And no rolling pin.

Back
Top Bottom